New Cottage Videos

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.

What do you think of my cottage videos?

Fantastic, you rock!
81%
Good idea but the videos could be better.
No votes
Rubbish idea, you suck.
5%
Get a haircut.
14%

Total votes: 21

Gwion

New Cottage Videos

Post by Gwion »

I'm experimenting with producing videos of our cottages. I'd love to know what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgKPrJdRwNE
Self Catering Accommodation
http://dioni.co.uk
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

I'm English so can't bring myself to say that you rock!! Pretty good though, although the running tap upset me!!

Nice idea I reckon.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I thought it was very nice, modern, friendly, understated.
I'm not sure that it was exactly "fantastic you rock" though. :)
A bit more laid back...!
lorca

Post by lorca »

Very nice video - I like the presentation style very much. Possibly too many shots of beds ( nice as they are) - could have done with some wider shots of the living areas.
If not now, when?
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

Very good! Much better than most videos you see. Only 2 points, running water is not so novel a feature that you need a long shot of a running tap and although your presenting style is excellent, the hands in the pockets at the start is a bit of a no no. Other than those very pernickety points you rock! :)
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

Thanks for your comments so far. Keep them coming.
I completely forgot about that tap. I've just been back to turn it off.
Thanks NC, I'm glad you like the style. I will save my rocking credentials for the village disco.
You're right about the wider shots lorca. I'm trying too hard to be artistic with my new slider I think. I need to intersperse these shots with more 'informative' wider sequences.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Do you own all of the properties you have videoed?
If you viewed them all back to back they are produced with the same style and that is a bit boring. I am not sure that works for me. There must surly be something different about each one.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Nicely done with relaxing music. Agree on the hands in pockets - very distracting! I would also lose the running tap; another one had a running shower - I guess some might be happy to see how much water pressure there is but personally give me the babbling brook in preference.

I too wouldn't want to view them in sequence, I was bored after watching a second one, but if a guest has decided on that particular one, then the video might well help clinch it.

I noticed tiny details, such as not having toiletries in a bathroom and towels that weren't showing folded edges on the bed of another, but I don't suppose we are your average audience here!

All in all, a good effort; go to the top of the class. :wink:
Essar

Post by Essar »

Bloody marvellous!

I liked the laid back approach with hand in pockets - a proper person who is going to be a very likeable and attentive host.

Didn't like the lift music reminds me of TA's stuff, I'd much prefer an atmospheric approach - gentle welsh harp in the background, crackling wood in the fire scene, squeaky stairs as you move up, steam train whistle in the distance, magazines and open discarded newspapers in the lounge. Maybe a fuzzy scene of kids and dogs in the garden and a muddy pair of walking boots in the doorway.

Excellent presentation, it will make a difference with flighty deciders - 5-star!
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
paolo

Post by paolo »

I think the videos are excellent, like glossy brochures come to life. In contrast I find the poll options poor, and the 4th option is just too tempting.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Actually, I think the hands in pocket style comes across as very relaxed and laid-back, unlike the standard tv presentation style of EMPHASIZING every phrase by WAVING your hands up and down that seems to be the ONLY WAY of getting your POINT across.

Re the running tap. I don't think it's the running water that jars, it's the fact that in the background you have that lovely original curly window lock, yet you make a feature of a very basic 70s style tap. (Or am I behind the times and is 70s style the new in thing?!)
But I don't know whether as a guest I would even have noticed it, because guests will be viewing your video in order to book a holiday, not to shortlist you for a "best director" oscar! :lol:
lorca

Post by lorca »

Normandy Cow wrote:Actually, I think the hands in pocket style comes across as very relaxed and laid-back, unlike the standard tv presentation style of EMPHASIZING every phrase by WAVING your hands up and down that seems to be the ONLY WAY of getting your POINT across.
ditto - perfectly pitched - friendly and relaxed and quite natural (and not US style pushy either which is definitely a turn-off)

Well done
If not now, when?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Ditto again. Love the laid back style and the overall vibe. Keep your hands exactly where they are!

Now, where's the booking form? :lol:
Gwion

Post by Gwion »

Thanks for all the great comments. They take quite a bit of effort to produce but you're encouraging me to carry on.
CasaS and Nemo, I hope to improve but yes, they are a little boring in sequence. Stills will always be the hook, but as you say, I'm hoping this may reel them in.
Essar. Music has been a nightmare to find. I cant find any royalty free music that isn't of the lift variety. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm not sure if I have the audio equipment to record your suggestions but I love the sequence ideas and will use them soon if that's ok.
Paolo. Thanks Paolo. Get a shave!
NC, who'd have though hands in pockets would have been the controversial issue. I thought it would be the thumbs up bit. Our two daughters are certainly NOT in favour of that.
FC, generous discounts for Lay My Hat members naturally!
tavi

Post by tavi »

Wow, fabulous presentation, gorgeous properties. Love the adorable one bedroom-er.

Your cameo role: you come across as laid back and geniune. However, I couldn't help feeling you were superfluous, (sorry!) and I wanted you to stop talking so I could have a look inside the cottage. Maybe the little chat could come AFTER the house tour when I'm starting to really feel the ambience of the place?

I thought the rain shower head was pretty but don't want to see the water going down the drain. Also the tap running made me itch to turn it off and save money. (metered water here and very expensive!)

Really great though - wish I could sort something half as good for my place.

:D
Tavi.