Satellite TV - One dish, 2 LNB, French and UK Freesat?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
sansbup

Satellite TV - One dish, 2 LNB, French and UK Freesat?

Post by sansbup »

I expect it's been asked before but I couldnt find it...

What I want to do is to provide both my two gites with either French 'freesat' equivalent together with UK Freesat channels.

I want to do this using one dish and a pair of dual LNBs mounted on a bracket such that I can get both satellites on the one dish.

Although I understand about the UK Freesat side of things (I've put up my own dish and got it pointing in the right place etc) I'm not too sure what the French freesat equivalent is, nor which satellite it broadcasts from, nor what dish/bracket combo to get.

Can anybody who really understands this stuff help me please?

Thanks in anticipation...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You can get French TNT (not sat, but lots of channels) by having a TV with the decoder inside or buying a box (all new French TVs now have it built into the set).
You can't use the same dish for both UK and French sat TV as they need to point to different satellites. So you either use TNT and the dish for UK Free sat, or buy 2 satellite dishes.
sansbup

Post by sansbup »

Thanks LaVache. Presumably I need some kind of aerial to receive French terrestrial TV though? There's nothing there right now...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

sansbup wrote:Thanks LaVache. Presumably I need some kind of aerial to receive French terrestrial TV though? There's nothing there right now...
Yes, you need a traditional aerial to receive TNT.
ccazes

Post by ccazes »

We have a HD TNT box that is set up on a satellite dish.
A few english news channels and on HD channels if the programme is originally in english it is not dubbed.

We were told the same thing about the sat dishes as they need to point in different directions.
MdV

Post by MdV »

You can install a dual signal dish (BI-SAT G3). I have an orange Livebox plus decoder and had the dish installed for receiving Sky and french TV. The dish was about 120 euros. It works fine, you just switch between signal inputs using an onscreen menu.
Ju

Post by Ju »

la vache! wrote: You can't use the same dish for both UK and French sat TV as they need to point to different satellites. So you either use TNT and the dish for UK Free sat, or buy 2 satellite dishes.
I've been looking into this for our house as our french TV signal is so rubbish, and I think it is possible to do both satelites from one dish. Just google 2 satelites from 1 dish
Leslie May

Re: Satellite TV - One dish, 2 LNB, French and UK Freesat?

Post by Leslie May »

--
Last edited by Leslie May on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

I started looking into this earlier - I wanted to get German/Dutch TV & UK by satellite (I use TNT for French TV). I was expecting to need 2 dishes but couldn't think how to find space to mount them in right directions. My manager said another house has this arrangement and uses 2LNBs from the same dish. She let me see a copy of their invoice for the technical details. I would have gone ahead, but for the uncertainty of the signal reception with the reorganisation of the UK satellite channels this summer - for our area reports on the reception of the UK channels which have moved to the new satellites are that reception is intermittent - so I've put that project on hold for now until know for definite what size dish will be needed once the changeover is completed....(I'm doing pool heating instead this winter as our major project :) )
nijntje

Post by nijntje »

of course it is possible, we have it :)
you need one of these multiple LNB holders and fix it to your satelite, and point each LNB to the right satelite.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/UNIVERSAL-4-LNB- ... 3a7e37dda9

the best thing is to have 2 cables (or more) running from your dish to your box and you need a box where you can put more then 1 cable in :)

but its possible and not difficult, my husband did it all himself :)