WIFI or no WIFI

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne »

Yes I agree I love nothing better than sitting with my wife in a bar with an ice cold beer rather than in an apartment looking at e mails

However ! - We have to provide what the public wants and top of the list is WiFi

A lot of people have Sky go now where they can stream football games without the need for Sky TV in a cottage

Tech is moving very fast so my guess is that Wifi will eventually go and be replaced with 6G or similar directly to the device

:D
People in Stone Houses should not throw Glass

Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Please explain 6G.
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

Nemo - what outside provider do you use - that sounds like something we could look at.

The house in Snowdonia really struggles with bookings over winter - many of the holiday cottages are empty in the village. Its a real shame as some of the best walking and biking is this time of year and you have the mountains to yourself. Between end Sept and Christmas I think we got 3 weekends rented out. We can sell the summer weeks 5 times over and had booked out the school holidays before the New Year.

We direct guests down to the pubs if they need wifi -it's a good excuse for a pleasant pint in front of the fire!
Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne »

Mozzie wrote:Please explain 6G.
Hi Mozzie

I didn't want to confuse you :

At the moment we are moving from 3G to 4G in the UK serving mobile devices such as laptops, ipads, iphones etc.

With the pace of technology today we will soon have 6G by which time my guess is that it will be as fast or faster than WiFi at which point the dinosaur will become extinct

Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Unfortunately my outside provider is simply someone local that the park used to set up their system. I think anyone can set up a service if you buy the equipment and the service in. Digging around I think they have bought a service from heart internet, but that then goes in the too technical for me to understand!

It's a shame when people just don't visit an area in the off season months, it can often be at its best!
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

Ha Ha Lindisfarne !!!!! I thought I was missing something really big! I am up with 4G but didn't understand how I had fallen behind missing 5G!!! You are absolutely correct in how fast all the techo is moving - if we wait maybe it will just be in the air for all.
Montana

Post by Montana »

We have wifi in the chalets (although not throughout in all properties - better signal in some areas than others, but it's free).

For myself, with a sports mad husband and two teenagers who are rarely seen without some form of device grafted onto their hands, plus I also need to be able to respond to work emails, wifi is a must in a holiday let, and would probably be a deal-breaker for us
Acid corrodes the vessel.........
Lindisfarne

Post by Lindisfarne »

Mozzie wrote:Ha Ha Lindisfarne !!!!! I thought I was missing something really big!
If you stay on this site I think it would be impossible to miss ANYTHING !!!
8)

arkvilla
Location: Highgate Park, Florida (the Villa) we live in Essex, UK

Post by arkvilla »

We lost bookings when we didn't offer free Wifi. In this day and age where everyone pretty much has a smartphone, blackberry etc it's 'normal' to need wifi so I think it's essential to my business.

Sandra
Jenny C

Post by Jenny C »

I think free wifi is absolutely essential. I would not book a self catering cottage which did not have it - in fact, after I have decided I like the look of a place, it's pretty much the first thing I look for in the facilities. If they don't have wifi, we don't go there. People also expect unlimited usage nowadays. To start with, we had a capped allowance on our BT broadband package, but we changed this to unlimited when we realised that what constitutes "reasonable usage" for many includes being able to stream films, tv, radio etc.