Do you provide a washing machine? (UK property)

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
tchn

Post by tchn »

I would be.
Annew

Post by Annew »

anya752000 wrote:
Has anyone else got a shared laundry?

Do you think that people would be happy sharing it with 2/3 other cottages?
I have a pal who has 3 cottages and offers a laundry room as she too had to make the decision WM or DW. She provides a large top loading washer and big dryer (both American) as the wash cycle is quicker. (I have the same in one of my cottages - they are fantastic). I don't think any of her guests have had a problem with this set up.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We're on site and offer a service wash FOC. We deliver it back wet (if the guest is in residence) or dry (if they've gone out). We don't chrage.
It was impossible for us to give guests access to the WM as the utility room is in our summer accommodation (where we move to).
Downside is that some guests are apologetic about having to do washing, and I know we've lost 1 repeat guest because she wanted a WM on hand to do washing everyday (so no hardship losing her).
Upside is we didn't have to buy and install another machine and i genuinely feel it saves energy judging by some of the washes guests would have done if they'd had it at their disposal.

Mousie (who can't understand why anyone would turn up on holiday with dirty washing...but they do)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Pmagowan

Post by Pmagowan »

I travel light and like a WM. Obviously a DW is good but at the end of the day you can wash dishes by hand. Most people will not do this with clothes (although I have many times). Certainly if you are there for 2 weeks you are talking 14 pairs of socks, 14 boxers, at least 14 shirts etc etc if you cant wash them. I would expect to do 2 washes in that time as I only bring hand luggage.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Pmagowan wrote: Obviously a DW is good but at the end of the day you can wash dishes by hand.
You can launder by hand too, Paddy (I know. Radical, but true :lol:)

Given a choice I'd always go for a DW rather than a WM. We have both in the barn; the DW's always used, while the WM is used but rarely. Of course it all depends on your market - I'm sure those who accommodate families would report differently. Our guests are couples, predominantly walkers.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

My thought was that if there was a serviceable woman in the group, then a DW wouldn't be necessary. However, in one of our rare conversations I sought the opinion of Mrs GB, and interestingly she holds a rather different view, indicating a strong preference for a DW. Quite vehement in fact. Rather took me by surprise.
So you just never can tell, can you?

ps As a result of the conversation, I'm having a nice break in a place where you don't have to do anything, nice ladies look after you, and they can apparently sew bits of you back on.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GB
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am also in the dishwasher camp. I actually have both in my apartment despite its small size. WM is in the bathroom as is common in French households.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Keep em coming GB. :wink:
onestep

Post by onestep »

GB :D :D
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

We had the same dilemma in our new build sat year. In the end we put a DW in and put a large insulated shed in the rear which now houses the WM and TD. The mop, recycle bin, umbrellas, garden chairs, airer and has old towels for wiping dry dogs, garden playthings, pushchair wheels etc etc. people comment n how useful it is and no-one has said they think it should be inside. Mind you it is only step away. Our American visitors who people usually say expect this have been satisfied with this arrangement.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

Thank you so much for all of your responses. I'm so glad I found this forum and am sure it will be invaluable over the next year as we finally set up our business.

I think the DW in the kitchen and the WM in an onsite laundry is the way to go.
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Every year I rent a 3 bedroom property in Spain. I travel by myself with two young kids, if it didn't have a washing machine I'm not sure I could make it work for me. It doesn't have a dishwasher and I couldn't care less, but that's me.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

anya752000 wrote: I think the DW in the kitchen and the WM in an onsite laundry is the way to go.
And don't forget the GB locked in the shed. Always useful to stop yourself taking things too seriously :lol: :lol:
lorca

Post by lorca »

wallypott wrote:Every year I rent a 3 bedroom property in Spain. I travel by myself with two young kids, if it didn't have a washing machine I'm not sure I could make it work for me. It doesn't have a dishwasher and I couldn't care less, but that's me.
I think for any property where guests travel mainly by plane a WM is essential (and/or if it attracts families). We don´t have room for DWs in our two cottages, but there´s a shared laundry room which is in constant use, esp in the summer.
If not now, when?
booboo

Post by booboo »

I would choose a washing machine over a DM. I don't care for a DW.