New author - my sis in law also has an ebook on Amazon...

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Nightowl

New author - my sis in law also has an ebook on Amazon...

Post by Nightowl »

Inspired by the general upbeat reaction to TC's newly published e-book and without wishing to detract or take away any of her limelight, I thought I'd share my sis in law's book, Opfer.

A totally different genre to TC's book, it will appeal to lovers of fantasy/sci fi.

She wrote it about 15 (maybe more) years ago (so some of the science bits might appear a bit dated) and I read it then and really liked it (notwithstanding that she's my sis in law).

It's called Opfer by Claire Powell. You can find it on Amazon - buy in hardback or kindle for 77p.

This is the blurb.

"Once upon a time in the mists of memory (or perhaps in a time to come)..." runs the opening to this extraordinary blend of fantasy and science fiction, which takes in an ancient feud between two barbaric races, the flight from a devastated planet Earth and the colonisation of other worlds, mental telepathy on a previously unimaginable scale, and the fabled Annals of Questria. In a situation where the future influences the past, and where free will and predestination combine and merge, the struggles, triumphs and disasters of individuals take on a new meaning - the survival or otherwise of the human race.

As some of the questions are answered and the narrative begins to tie up the seemingly disjointed loose ends, there are still riddles to be solved, sacrifices to be made and battles to be won, and even the humblest person has an unconscious role to play in the working out of mankind's destiny.

On first appearance, 'The Mission of Tor', the first of the three volumes that make up Opfer, seems to be a simple fantasy story. But where do the legends come from? Who are the Quallics? What exactly is Questria? Is this a scene from the past or the future? And does history repeat itself?

As the second volume traces the ancestry of the Reeslanders and Frilanders, and the third volume begins to reveal the answers, one question still remains to be answered: just who IS pulling the strings?

Good value for money - three books in one!
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I quite like science fiction so I'll buy that when I finally get a Kindle. I know I can read it on the PC and have just done that, but it's not idea as I only have a desktop.

TC
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Hi Nightowl

Thanks for the recommendation on your SIL's book - I downloaded it to Kindle and have just finished reading it!

Brilliant, a very cleverly worked out and intermingled story. Well worth re-reading.

When I next log onto Amazon, I'll post a review :)
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

ah thanks PW, I'll tell her... she's a bit down at the moment so it will really cheer her up to get a good review.

I think it's a really clever trilogy and I enjoyed reading it.

Anyone else on LMH want to commit 79p for an excellent read?
Nightowl
backwards......
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

I'll download it Nighty and report back.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I like this kind of sci fi, so I've just downloaded it too, Nightowl!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

I downloaded it - and OH may have read it, I will enquire. As he has been in and out of hospital rather a lot the past 5 weeks (came out of Avranches polyclinic after hip op with a staph infection :evil: which he is recovering from) I've not been able to get near my Kindle to read either TC's book or this one. I think a second Kindle is on the horizon...
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

Thanks guys - hope you enjoy it. - if you do, please spread the word!

She was really chuffed to hear PW's comments.

Hope your OH is on the mend now, Normandie
Nightowl
backwards......
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Nightowl - I've just uploaded my review of Opfer onto Amazon UK so it should be there in a day or 2 :D Hope it helps with more sales for your SIL :lol:
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

thank you - she was so pleased to hear that it's at least being read by a few people! And she will be thrilled to bits with the amazon feedback.
Nightowl
backwards......
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

You're welcome :)
I love reading, I'm more than a bit of a bookworm (don't ask which bit :lol: ) so I always appreciate being recommended new authors. I have to limit my spending per month on Amazon :oops: so always look out for bargains :D
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I forgot to email her this afternoon and just got back home and got an email from her....she's absolutely thrilled to bits at the review which is on Amazon already. I think it's given her a real boost.

I just read it too; what a great review (and true!)

About time I had a re-read of it myself actually - I last read it about 5 years ago and I was pretty amazed - I knew she'd been writing it but I had no idea how original and well-woven the story was. thanks for taking the time to review it.
Nightowl
backwards......