The 5:2 Fast Diet

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
la vache!

The 5:2 Fast Diet

Post by la vache! »

Just in case anyone is interested in losing a little weight before summer, I can recommend the 5:2 fast diet. I've just lost a stone in 8 weeks on the 5:2 fast diet (I wasn't overweight, at 5'8" just wanted to get down to 9 stone)
It involves fasting 2 days a week (with a 500 calorie allowance, 600 for men) on the fast days, and on the other days you eat normally. There is no fat fee to pay as with Weightwatchers, indeed you save money because you cut out meals. I don't have a lack of energy at all (I run on fast days without a problem), it feels good to be hungry!
There was a Horizon documentary about the benefits of fasting back in August, and there is a website too.
It is really easy to do and you don't have to cut anything nice (such as wine or chocolate) out of your diet at all. And there are other health benefits. I'm going to continue fasting one day a week to maintain the weight loss
:D
Last edited by la vache! on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onestep

Post by onestep »

I'm doing this too! Just finished week 2, & I've lost 6lbs. :D
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well done both. Thanks for that endorsement LV; I have saved lots of info about this diet and was thinking I need to give it a go. I've had a difficult winter with lots of illness which is unlike me, so I've stopped exercising and the weight is creeping back up to an unacceptable level.

I really like the philosophy behind it and it would be nice to think it's not yet another diet fad that's here today and gone tomorrow.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I'm 5'8½". How many stone does that extra half an inch give me? :oops: I was probably about 7 the last time I was 9 stone! :shock:

Right, action is required. Pronto!! Thanks for the kick up the derriere!
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

and that probably means I should be less than 8 stone. :shock:
Martha

Post by Martha »

My mum's done it for years. I think it's a good way to go.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

If anyone needs any extra motivation or support, there is a good forum too:
http://www.52fastdiet.co.uk/
A surprising number of men seem to like this diet - my b/f has just started it too. It is easy...
French Cricket

Re: Want to lose a few kilos for the summer?

Post by French Cricket »

la vache! wrote: It is really easy to do and you don't have to cut anything nice (such as wine or chocolate) out of your diet at all.
So does that mean that on the two fast days you can have 500 calories worth of wine and chocolate?

Sounds good to me :lol: :lol:
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You can indeed FC, as long as you have the willpower to stick to 500 calories of chocolate and wine! I save 100 cals for a couple of squares of dark chocolate with a cup of tea in the evening. And my homemade French onion soup is very filling, very good and very cheap for fast days!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

A friend of mine is doing this, and has lost a couple of stone so far. He's not given up any alcohol though, even on fasting days he is still enjoying his glass of wine in the evening (and knowing him a couple more). I MAY give it a go after the ski season is finisihed, but low calorie diets don't do anything for my concentration, and my job requires a lot of it. Bad enough having a coffee and tea ban in place, it would only make it worse.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

In all the studies done, fasting actually increases concentration and awareness....
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

LV, I get a migraine.
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

We have various friends who are doing it with great success. I am trying but I am weak-willed and I have to do proper meals for hubby as he is diabetic and would be dead in no time on 600 calories which means I still spend too much time in the kitchen cooking tempting meals... his culinary skills are limited to boiled eggs and toast :shock: :shock:
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Mozzie

Post by Mozzie »

LV - can you give me an example of what you would eat on your 500 calorie fasting day please?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

HelenB wrote:and that probably means I should be less than 8 stone. :shock:
No I think not Helen. For most people going below 8 stone later in life means looking like a skeleton. Not a good look!
la vache! wrote: And my homemade French onion soup is very filling, very good and very cheap for fast days!
Ok, I love French Onion Soup, so can I have your recipe please?

Look how much interest there is already. Looks like we could have a LMH support group for this!