Gmail?

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Mountain Goat

Gmail?

Post by Mountain Goat »

Although I've figured out how to get googlemail (without a mobile phone in Shanghai), does anyone know how to get a gmail account address?

I know it's sort of in Beta, and there's a problem in some countries, but maybe someone could help.

It's that 3gb online storage that interests me.

Goat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Goat,

If what you want is an invitation to Gmail just send me a PM with your current e-mail address and you will get one, pdq.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Alan,
I do appreciate that. I don't want to be picky, or ungrateful, but does one actually end up with a gmail address or googlemail?

Or does it depend on whether one has a google account (for adwords, answers etc.) already?

I received a very kind invitation from Daisy in Beijing last week, which I took up (Mrs Goat doesn't read this) but I ended up with a googlemail address.

Googlemail is a bit of a mouthful, and gmail seems a lot snappier, certainly when one is giving out an email address on the phone.

On a slightly different issue, aren't you concerned about the privacy issues?

Goat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I think everyone gets a googlemail address now, but I can't remember why.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The name gmail was an existing domain in some countries, I think, and therefore trademark (?) probs.
Goat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Goat,

Due to a dispute about the name, Gmail is now called Googlemail in the UK. The research firm Independent International Investment Research (IIIR), uses the name G-mail to refer to a part of its financial analytics software.

In most countries you get a Gmail address, in a few including the UK you get a Googlemail address. Mine come as “user name� @ gmail.com. The offer still stands.

To what privacy issues are you referring?

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Many thanks, Alan, PM on it's way.

Google privacy issues have been well aired on the 'net, and I feel Joanna may be the expert to fill us in.

The point of gmail was that one could have a permanent store of all emails in/out, and no need to download and archive elsewhere etc. 3Gb (or whatever) would be OK for most users. Advantage of course is that one could use one's internal Google search to search one's email archive. Very useful, and I mean it.

However, and I may have got the wrong end of the stick here, Google (in its sign up conditions) allows them to squirt targeted ads when you're using their service, generated by the content of emails in and out of your account. So far so good, although it would drive me mad.

What is more disturbing is how Google deals with the privacy issue re the content of emails. Do security services have access? Do government depts. have access? Which country's gov. has access. etc. etc. I am sure you could come up with a minefield of interesting issues. Freedom of Information etc. etc.

This does need an expert here, I may be totally out of date on this, and maybe it has all be resolved, but I would like to know.

Goat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Goat,

I must admit I don't use gmail a lot but I haven't been "squirted" yet. I get the odd spam message but they are always automatically placed in the spam folder.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Alan
This is what Google says in the not-so-small print of their sign-up info:

No large, annoying ads--just small text ads and related pages that are relevant to the content of your messages

which makes things clear. They look and digest your email and then present ads depending on their content. I'm not quite sure how far they go, if I ever get time I will experiment.

The only target ads that I found relevant have been on the Opera browser. The low-grade version of Opera churns out these ads, but they have been absolutely great - totally relevant and some good leads in addition to my own search activities. Had to give up Opera as there's a lot of sites which are incompatible with its browser engine.

Goat
mpprh

Post by mpprh »

Hi

I moved to gmail for my website because of the good spam filter and "search, not save" philosophy.

I'm very happy with it, too.

I also can give you a gmail address.

Peter
The Languedoc Page
www.the-languedoc-page.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Peter,

The odd thing is that although I am registered with Gmail and my mail address is gmail.com when Goat gets an invite from me it is for googlemail not gmail. Weird?

Alan
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Had the same experience when, as a gmail user myself, I invited another UK resident to join. I wonder if they (can) check the location of the IP address for the recipient ?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It's not just that gmail is coolerer, it's shorter.

Googlemail is also a bit difficult for me when giving it to a French speaker.

This sort of explains the current situation, so I will have to 'adjust' my country of application:

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/e ... email.html

Goat
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Wed May 03, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Or get someone that you trust in a qualifying country to set it up for you, then you can always change the password / memorable name etc details after they've set it up.
enid

Post by enid »

Google privacy issues have been well aired on the 'net,
This debate has been very interesting for me as my daughter was over for a few days last week to set up my new imac, to start the revamp of my web page on Wordpress and to show me stuff she likes that I might like too. I am using Google calendar now andI love it. The question of privacy is an interesting one - my daughter and I have discussed it today - her last message sums it up for me - To me it is a transaction. They sell me a service, I pay not in currency but by trading on my aggregated (not explicit) data. Like any other organisation I deal with. I trust them not to abuse me. Otherwise I don't deal with them.

The other key point is an e-mail communication is inherently insecure. If you really want to communicate privately e-mail is not the way. If you're already on the net your privacy is probably stuffed anyway so you might as well stop worrying and embrace the positive that less privacy = more sociability. In my opinion better the targeted ads than the spam. The advantage of Google parsing your e-mail content is you end up with the former and no more of the latter. It is the difference between solicited and unsolicited advertising.

She has written in more detail on her blog and you can find it at
http://www.ajpope.info/archives/2006/05/834/