Phone connection

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Tracy K

Phone connection

Post by Tracy K »

Hi everybody, I'm a newbie! I've been looking through the site and have found some very useful information.

I would be grateful if someone could give me some advice on phone companies. As my property is a bit remote mobile phones do not work very well, I am therefore thinking of having the phone reconnected (I think the previous owners used Pacific Telecom?). As I am renting the property out I do not want to leave myself open for people making a huge amount of calls and I was wondering if anyone knows of a company that offers emergency calls only but then full use if a code is entered so that my family can use the phone for personal calls or internet access whenever they visit.

If that is not possible does anyone know how you contact the french emergency services using an english mobile phone.

I apologise if these questions have been asked before and I've missed them.

Many thanks :roll:
Ju

Post by Ju »

You will probably be best talking to France telecom to get the line re-connected. Once this is done you can then change operators if you want, but unless you want (and can get) broadband it is probably not worth it. France telecom do a range of packages, which includes local calls only (which we have in one of our properties). You can then use a phone card to tap in a code which will let you use the phone as normal.

To call the french emergency services from a UK mobile whilst in France you just need to dial the emergency number (15,17 or 18), the phone knows it is in France. You can also use the number 112 which is the European emergency number and they will put you through to the service you require.

Ju
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

We just have an ordinary France Telecom line, which allows calls to anywhere in the world.

We allow our guests to use it, in fact we encourage them to use it instead of using their mobiles, as it is much cheaper for them to call the UK from the landline.

Then, at the end of their stay, I log on to my account on the France Telecom website and can get an up to the minute detailed breakdown of the date, time, number called and duration of all numbers called between two entered dates, and if the cost of their calls comes to more than a couple of pounds sterling I deduct this from their £200 deposit.

Our guests really really appreciate this :D, yet most of them hardly use the phone - only once have I had to deduct, and even then it was only about £6.
garlic

Post by garlic »

Hi Tracey

Not really to do with phones although I do agree with Catherine.
But...........I live literaly just down the road from you :)