Bank Charges

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Mick & Beth

Bank Charges

Post by Mick & Beth »

I have been told by my pension provider that I can have my pension paid directly into my French bank account using the TAPS system run by the Bank of Scotland. The benefits are that there are no charges and the exchange rate is beneficial due to the large amounts of money being transfered by the Bank of Scotland. The downside would apear to be that my French bank, Credit Mutuel charge €15 for every transfer in to my acount from the UK. Does anyone know of a French bank that does not charge such extortionate rates (no charge at all would be preferable) or am I being naive? :shock:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I have an account with Barclays France, I transfer money from a Paypal account to them, but it is already in euros. I think when I transferred an amount to pay for my apartment, I was charged though, even though the transfer was done from my end in euros.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

You could you try La Poste - they have recently set up a bank and talking to a lot of my French students they seem to be cheaper in a lot of respects. French banks are worse than the UK, I have to pay 7.65€ for all the services I get free with my UK account. Also, remember that banks run on a federal system in France and charges differ from area to area, they are not done on a national basis, so what I tell you happens here in Brittany will not necessarily be the same as in your area of France. Perhaps you should shop around, but they will all take their pound of flesh. I get charged 17€ for every cheque I cash from a euro country (such as Ireland or Belgium) so now I only take bank transfers or cash from guests in these countries. My bank get enough out of me as it is!
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

I have a sneaky feeling that the AXA bank account does not charge (I nearly got round to to opening an account with them, because you can get the credit card fee refunded if you use the card a lot).
Definitely worth checking out.
Bob
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Bob is right, I think you need to spend a minimum of 14,000€ per year on your card to get free banking with AXA.
Marion

Post by Marion »

I've noticed over the last 6 months that the Societe General have stopped charging me for transfers in. :D
However they did charge me for withdrawing cash the other day :evil:
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
Mick & Beth

Post by Mick & Beth »

Thanks all, guesse I'll have to shop around. Just for info, Credit Mutuel charge 15€ for every bank transfer (in Euros) from the UK and €17.50 for euro cheques from Ireland. Not bad for doing nothing... :evil:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Mick and Beth, I've just been told today that if the correct details i.e. IBAN no and SWIFT code are used, there should be no charges to pay money into an account, provided the transfer is in euros and does not need to be converted from sterling.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I still get charged 3.65€ even with all the IBAN/SWIFT details with Crédit Agricole. HOwever, it is better than 17.50€. I think that must be a standard rate with French banks. I believe the EU is investigating the matter at the moment - having a universal currency was supposed to avoid charges like this.
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

As a retired banker, I resent paying any charges whatsoever. The french bank system however seems to be more akin to UK banks in the 70's, which I suppose in general terms is what we love about France (does that make sense?)

Susan, I am with CA too. They are fine, good internet banking, but I refused to pay for a credit/atm card and used to go into a branch to get cash. Eventually got bored with that & paid for a card. So CA (1) Lesblancs (0). Every so often a very small charge appears on my statement, which I have put down to 'possibly maybe' breathing on a bank holiday. So CA (2) Lesblancs (0)

But as long as they do not try & push their luck too far, I will remain happy, & I think that would include 3+euros charge for a credit.

(I am sure the b******s charged me more when I sent a large euro credit from the UK). 3-0?
Highams Park Harry

Post by Highams Park Harry »

already posted, but I second that if you insist (and you will have to) that both parties use the IBAN/SWIFT codes, there are no charges

banks eh?
Dordogne Holiday Cottage, sleeps eight
http://www.ruedelagare.co.uk