HELP!

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Loopy Lou

HELP!

Post by Loopy Lou »

I've just learned that the very nasty people whose gite business I was on the point of buying in Deux Sevres have sold the property over my head two days ago without doing me the courtesy of informing me that there was another interested party. I have booked plane ticket and hire car to travel over next week for 5 days unpaid leave to meet them at the property, stay there, and sign the compromis at the notaire's. They have not contacted me - I phoned the notaire today to ask where the compromis was and he told me the lovely news. I am utterly livid.

I'm still coming over because the car and travel are paid for, so I need a place to stay from 14th to 20th (6 nights) somewhere near Poitiers. Can anyone help? I'll be gite hunting!

Hopefully

Louise
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Can't help with accommodation Lou, but am really sorry that you have been treated so shoddily - what appalling people.

It may just mean that something even better awaits though. Here's hoping.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Lou!!!! I am so so sorry to hear the news - I know how excited you were and you must be absolutely devastated. If it's any consolation, remember that what goes round comes around - you will probably never be there to see it and it may not happen for many years, but they WILL one day pay for treating you so badly.

Meanwhile, Onwards and Upwards...
Let me tell you about our similar experience nearly 4 years ago. We had found what we thought was our dream property, and had spent many weeks planning the renovations and poring over the many photos I had taken. I wrote a comprehensive business plan and we were all set to go over to sign our compromis. Two days before our departure, the vendor decided that she "no longer wanted to sell her house" and although the estate agent made noises about her being in breach of her contract with him, it never came to anything and we were left high and dry. I was SO disappointed - I never thought I would ever find another property that I liked as much. You can guess what I am about to say.... A couple of months later, yes we did, one hundred times better, and we have never looked back.

So courage, ma brave - you WILL make it happen. Those nasty people have actually done you a favour, because until now they were holding you back from finding your true dream property... :D
gh

Post by gh »

... some people deserve all they get, they really do. Probibly no comfort at the moment to you, 'when one door closes another opens' wise words often quoted by; my cherished mother, and its true it really will happen and you are the very person to make it happen.

You are welcome at our place from the 24th, booked prior, we are there for 1 measly week, 1 hr from Poitiers

Chin up dont let the b+++ers get you down.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Loopy Lou, how awful!!! Are they allowed to do that? I thought sort of thing was not allowed in France.
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

I was going over to sign the compromis next week, so yes, they could sell the property. No signature, no deposit, no contract - just an emailed agreement that most decent people would honour or at least let me know they've had a better offer.

I do mind because I have sold my UK property and I will be jobless and homeless by mid july. Damn and blast it. :evil:

But - I will find myself somewhere to rent and then do some comprehensive gite hunting with money in the bank. I just hoped to be in the property hitting the ground running straight away. There's definitely a better place out there for me and I will start again tomorrow with the magazines that came through the door today.

More red wine required!

Lou
Louise
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm so sorry Lou, there are some despicable people about. However, things sometime happen for a reason and I'm sure you will find something better. We're not in your region, but have a spare bedroom if you ever need it, just ask. I can't understand how people can be like that, but it probably speaks volumes about them and their business (i.e you can't trust what they've said about it.)
You can do better!!!
Bon courage.
enid

Post by enid »

Kevin, my hubby, is so livid about what's happened to you he says come and stay with us as our guest and look for a gite business in the Lot -et-Garonne. He'll give your morale a boost I can promise you - and there's always a bottle of wine open here.
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

I agree with the others. When you lose a property, you are normally quite relieved when you look back a few years later. Still, gutting at the time - find a wax effigy and stick pins in it - won't do any good but it will make you feel better.

John
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Partucularly disappointing, as you've packed in the job, and sold the Uk property. Our apartment in the Alps is empty then, but not in the right location for you.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

How b**** awful. I don't know how some people can sleep at night.

I hope you find something lovely to buy and I hope they get what they deserve in life.

Good luck.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Lou, I'm so sorry about this... our property is nowhere near Poitiers, and it's full anyway, so I don't think I can be of much help. All I can do is offer sympathy.

I hope that six months from now you'll be laughing on the forum about how very glad you are that you didn't buy that place, because you've settled into somewhere even better.

Still, if I were in your place I'm sure I'd be screaming and kicking things and -- the effigy idea is a good one, but pins wouldn't be strong enough for me! :evil:
Brooke
Martha

Post by Martha »

What an awful thing to happen. Best of luck finding your new, much better place, and remember that what goes around, comes around....
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi Guys,

I've posted this in the Cafe thread for the wider audience, so please go there for further updates.

Thank you for your kind words of support. The owners were within their rights as I hadn't signed anything, but they could have given me a chance. I don't like them (understatement - pins, nah; sledgehammer, yeah!)

However, better things are in the offing, so fingers crossed.

Merci, et a bientot,

Lou
Louise