Insurance for 3 bed villa

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
mario

Insurance for 3 bed villa

Post by mario »

Was wondering what you spanish villa owners pay for insuring your villa with pool bearing in mind it needs to cover public liability and also renting.
Canaryvilla

To mario

Post by Canaryvilla »

Have only just come across your post. We have a 3 bed 2 bath without pool and costs around £160 per year from insuranceforhomesabroad.co.uk which includes public liability.
mario

Post by mario »

Thanks Canaryvilla,will check them out
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Sounds cheap...but check out whether you have to be a resident in the UK to take out the insurance..as this maybe a requirement.

Also, be cautious...sometimes a cheap policy may not necessarily mean good cover..you only find that out when it comes to making a claim!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Canary villa
that does sound cheap Have you had to make a claim were they efficient
Canaryvilla

Post by Canaryvilla »

I have not had to make a claim before, however I used to insure through Schofields who are a leader in this field and after compairing like for like insuranceforhomesabroad.co.uk gave far greater cover.

Not sure if you have to be uk resident or not?

Forgot to mention they also accept monthly payments.
marrum31

Post by marrum31 »

I paid about €350 for the full insurance cover for a 3 bed/2 bath villa via a spanish company(including the euro liability). I did need to use them after a break in and the payment went thru very quickly.
Becky
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Marrum :D

Can you remember the name of the company? :?:
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I found out that the Spanish insurance companies will only insure a max 300,000 euros Public Liability which in my opinion is not enough cover.
Canaryvilla

Post by Canaryvilla »

Just checkedn what cover I receive from insuranceforhomesabroad.co.uk and as I have taken out building and contents cover I get Liability Insurance up to £2 million
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

If the insurance in underwritten by a UK company then PL cover is £2 million. However, sometimes a condition of a 'hoilday home abroad' policy taken out in the UK requires the insured to be resident in the UK.

The company that I now have the villa insured with is underwritten by Norwich Union (PL £2m) even though I am resident in Spain. I have paid 100 euros more for this policy than the one that I had with Groupama, but at the end of the day I have peace of mind that everything is covered, including accidental damage to the property by tenants...which to my horror I discovered was not covered these last 3 years...main reason for the change of insurance companies!