Buying abroad

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
mushroom1980

Buying abroad

Post by mushroom1980 »

I'm makinf the big ol' move to Brindisi towards the end of this year. Hope to have everything up and running by next summer. Just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to buy property with a view to renting it abroad.
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Gosh! Where to start!

You really need to start by deciding what sort of holiday accomodation you want to provide - agriturismo, b&b, hotel, self catering. Then the decision is 'to restore or not to restore'. I don't know what the property market is like where you are, but don't let anyone tell you that the cost of restoration in Italy will be anything less than €1200 per msq!

I don't think it is quite so easy to do holiday lets in Italy as in other countries. For example you have to have a license, authority from ASL (the health and safety people) and once you are up and running you have to make sure you register all guests with the carabinieri within 24 hours of arrival and maintain a guests register. All of these have to be available for inspection (without notice!) by the carabinieri, vigili urbano, ASL and the the finance police! What ever you decide, it is obviously easier to do all this if you are nearby or on site.

Hope this helps.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com