Becoming Dog-friendly!

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
debk

Post by debk »

She is a Portuguese Water Dog and will be about 20-25kg. Non-shedding, and non-allergic for most sufferers, their hair grows and grows like a human's: some will grow really long hair, some can't, just like people. They're working dogs -- herding fish into nets like sheepdogs -- thus the strange haircut: the front hair is left long to protect the body when diving into the Atlantic; the back half is shaved to reduce maintenance. Hmmm, I guess you can't really see the "lion cut" in the photo.

Alan, I agree with you, especially about the tendency to exaggerate. But I know three people who are seriously allergic to animals and it's for them that we hold firm. (Our daughter earned a kitten when she was young and my husband's friend arrived a few days later for dinner, stepped into the entry and announced "You have a cat." He couldn't stay for dinner and never was able to spend time at the house again. :( Big football player, totally debilitated by a tiny kitten.)

Smoke allergies are my problem. I've left more restaurants mid-meal than I care to remember. Always frustrating. Oh, well. .. Eat early, eat fast!
debk
Last edited by debk on Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Deb,

No argument here - real allergies are really awful and smokers should go outside.

Fluffy
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Don't get me onto smoking!

One of the woderful things about Italy is that smoking is banned in all pubs and restaurants. It's so nice to be able to taste food without smoke contamination.

Ask any Italian smoker and they will agree - they can't understand why people in the Uk are so upset at the mere thought of a ban! :wink:
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
gh

Post by gh »

Allergies are so individual to a point where most things cause allergies to someone some where.

Where we as owners can eradicate dog and cat allergies and certainly smoking smells, how many hoops do we have to jump through; for example, certain types of pillow and duvet fibres, grass and pollen, bug bites, pool chemicals etc.

We help where we can and most guests who have indiviudial allergies specific to them that are severely debilitating to their enjoyment of their holiday; ask before booking and accept what we offer, bring with them their anti allergie drugs and medicines pillows etc that they may need.

At L'Espoir we allow guide dogs and at additonal cost to us, for a deep clean afterwards.

Unsighted guests cannot see the beautiful views sighted people can and are sure their companions relay to them the uninterrupted rural view of the French countryside, and cleaned to a standard; that future guests are not exposed to dog hair allergies.

What a world we now live in. :)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

You raise an interesting point... if someone were to inquire and state that they needed to bring a guide dog because of a disability, could we refuse?

I'm not certain, but in the States, I believe refusing would be illegal.
Brooke
A-two

Post by A-two »

vrooje wrote:You raise an interesting point... if someone were to inquire and state that they needed to bring a guide dog because of a disability, could we refuse?
I can answer that and the answer is no, you cannot refuse to accept someone who wants to bring a "seeing eye" dog if your property is in the USA, regardless of your pet policy. It not only applies to rentals, it applies almost everywhere, including restaurants etc.

We have a no pets policy. I received an inquiry this year from someone who wanted to bring an alert dog for a week in the height of the season when we have a 4 hr turnover. One of their children suffered from severe seizures and the alert dog was at it's side constantly, which meant it had to have access to all areas of the house where the child would go, including bedrooms etc.

The family who had booked the week immediately following had a child with severe asthma. I knew this because they had only booked my place after being reassured several times that I really do not make exceptions to our no pets policy.

I told the person with the alert dog that we would of course accept their booking, but we had concerns that no amount of cleaning in 4 hrs could possibly remove all trace of the dog dander before the asthmatic child arrived. I would therefore have to inform all the other families, some of whom I expected would cancel for reasons of allergies.

They responded that they really didn't want to put me in such a difficult situation and please don't worry, they would find something else. I was sorry and referred them to my friend who does take pets. The family with the asthmatic child came, had a great time, and rebooked for next year.

I'm not making this up, it happened.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Joanna, :D

Thanks for sharing that..... :D

I can see how this could be a problem especially if you are offering disabled access as some houses are....

Of course we dont think youre making it up..... :roll:

If we are going to have to state that everytime we post it could get a bit tedious.

I know my postings take a lot of believing....I cant believe them myself half the time & I was there.......But things happen when Im about[probably its a contributing factor!!???] :roll:

I just think that you handled it in just the right way and thats why you got a good outcome.
The fact that you had got so involved in the booking for the child with the allergy problem shows your a caring person and this showed itself when you were dealing with the aid dog question. :)

The people appreciated this [probably had a lot more badly put rejections] and so didnt want to put you out.

As in a lot of these situations when people do the right thing [you]the right thing happens.

Hopefully the people had a great holiday as well with your friend :D

Everyones a winner....what a nice way to start a day!!!! :lol:
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

This is an interesting subject. We have never accepted pets in our properties nor on the site.

We have had many enquiries from people with asthma and allergies and have even had guests bring their own special vacuum cleaners!!

During 15 years I have only ever had one enquiry about bringing a guide dog, although a multitude for bringing the family pet despite our advertising specifying no pets. I offer the info about local boarding kennels but so far no one has taken this option.

In the UK the Disability Discrimination Act means that we are not able to refuse a guest with a guide or helping dog as the dog is considered to be part of that person.

However, if by accepting a guide dog it would compromise the subsequent suitability of your property for those with allergies you are able to refuse on those grounds.

I now make it clear in my advertising that the properties are pet and smoke free and therefore suitable for those with asthma and allergies.

It is a difficult but rare situation, but dealt with tactfully as Joanna has can be resolved.
Squirrel
Always expect the unexpected
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I can answer that and the answer is no, you cannot refuse to accept someone who wants to bring a "seeing eye" dog if your property is in the USA, regardless of your pet policy. It not only applies to rentals, it applies almost everywhere, including restaurants etc.
In the UK the Disability Discrimination Act means that we are not able to refuse a guest with a guide or helping dog as the dog is considered to be part of that person.
Quite rightly, under the law you can’t give these as reasons for refusal. However, putting on my lawyer’s hat I would say there is nearly always a way around a problem, if a problem it is. You can give a refusal without a reason; you can give a refusal using a different reason.

Fluffy
debk

Post by debk »

However, if by accepting a guide dog it would compromise the subsequent suitability of your property for those with allergies you are able to refuse on those grounds.
Alan-With-The-Lawyer-Hat-On, can you comment on the above? It seems reasonable, a balancing of conflicting "disabilities" perhaps?
debk
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Deb,

I am not now an expert on these things, if I ever was. All I can do is to give my view and it is this:-

Anti-discrimination laws are rarely written or applied in such a way to as to encompass the sort of situation being considered here. When it comes to the practical application of the rules and regulations and their consequences they are not particularly constructive and not at all instructive.

If you think that accepting a guide dog might compromise the subsequent suitability of your property for those with allergies I would turn the problem on its head. I would make the circumstance quite clear to the allergy sufferer and I would leave it up to him/her to accept or avoid the obvious risks. I might even go so far as to ask for a written acknowledgement of the risks.

What I would not do is offer any promises or undertakings that the property was risk free for allergy suffers. Mind you, I would never do that in any circumstances. These days, there are far too many people who ignore risks and then want compensation from someone else when it all goes wrong. There is such a thing as contributory negligence but too many like to ignore it.

Fluffy
debk

Post by debk »

Thank you, Alan. Just the type of thoughtful insight that I was seeking. Happy Sunday!
debk
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Puts head above the parapet and prepares to be shot down...........I am a dog owner and a smoker :oops: but I wouldn't stay anywhere where dogs and or smoking was allowed, I know, what a hypocrite but he ho. I have little signs made up for the apt stating smoking allowed on the terraces only.

At the end of the day, there are always some inconsiderate dog owners, smokers and lets face it, it all boils down to PEOPLE, so if we could also ban belching, farting, swearing, shouting, unruly kids then that would be just great :twisted:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

You are so right!

I remember going to our local pub in St Margaret's Bay near Dover. It is beautiful, and the pub was on to a real winner. The only problem for me was that every wall was covered (and I mean covered) in 'notices'. It would be easier to say what you could do than than what you couldn't! :wink:
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Partridge :D

belching, farting, swearing, shouting, unruly kids then that would be just great :twisted:[/quote]

Didnt know you met my Family :wink: