Small business rate releif after March 2015. What is happeni

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
zebedee

Small business rate releif after March 2015. What is happeni

Post by zebedee »

Apologies if I am asking a daft question that everyone knows the answer to, but can someone please tell me what is happening about the small business rate releif after 31st March 2015?

From what I have read there would appear to be some discretion that councils can use to aply the releif and reclaim the money back from the government but holiday lets have not been listed as one of the types of business that would meet the criteria in anything that I have read.
Do I need to anticipate a business rate Bill from March?

Many thanks. (Ps I have searched the forum before posting this query but there is nothing posted since the autumn statement that I could find).
Many thanks and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to all at LMH!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I thought I'd read that it was extended for another year, but as usual the gov sites are as much use as a chocolate teapot. :roll:

I found this blog that suggests it's true but don't quote me!

http://www.camouse.co.uk/blog/blog/item ... on-the-way
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

The December EASCO newsletter contains the glad news:

Autumn Statement:
Business Rates Relief

In the Chancellor's Autumn Statement, a sort of mini-budget, there were only a few things directly relevant to self-catering. One that affects many self-catering operators is business rate relief.

To support small businesses in local communities, the ‘high street discount’ for around 300,000 shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants will go up from £1,000 to £1,500, from April 2015 to March 2016. This is mostly beneficial to non-accommodation tourism businesses.

However in addition, they are doubling Small Business Rate Relief for a further year, which means 380,000 of the smallest businesses will pay no rates at all.

The government will also continue to cap the annual increase in business rates at 2% from April 2015 to March 2016 – this will benefit all businesses paying business rates.

Finally, the government will extend the transitional arrangements for smaller properties that would otherwise face significant bill increases due to the ending of ‘transitional rate relief’.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

That's where I'd read it. Thanks Wonkeye!
Wonkeye

Post by Wonkeye »

Nemo wrote:That's where I'd read it. Thanks Wonkeye!
Like!
zebedee

Thanks

Post by zebedee »

Wow, many thanks for such prompt and helpful replies! Good news too!
Thanks again.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Nemo wrote:That's where I'd read it. Thanks Wonkeye!
Me too - another good reason why everyone with a holiday rental in England should support EASCO. (Or SASCO for Scotland, WASCO for Wales.)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Hear, hear