4x4 Recommendations

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

They used to have LPG taxis in Madrid in the 1980's. They probably still have, I haven't been there for years. They carried the gas bottle in the boot, so your luggage had to fit inside. I was warned never to get one (they were white with a red stripe, so distinguishable) because if they were hit up the rear (common enough in Madrid) they exploded in a blue light.
I presume the technology is safer now?

Mols :shock:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
CSE

Post by CSE »

LPG or GPL in Spanish is not very common.
Only 400 odd stations in all of Spain.
Not worth the hassle.
http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/spain
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

casasantoestevo wrote:
This scandal is going to hit most diesel engined cars. They are the worse poulterers of the internal combustion engines. Technology has moved on to help reduce it from diesels, but it is still greater than petrol.
Both have disadvantages so you cannot simply make sweeping statements like that.

http://www.clickgreen.org.uk/product/di ... ndly-.html
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

JaneS wrote: I forgot a heated front windscreen which is really useful. I know you are in Spain, but sometimes these things are useful to have.
For those harsh Andalusian winters? An expensive option which would definitely be a waste of money for a southern Spanish resident.

Run flat tyres: Many people don't like them because of the extra road noise caused by the stiff sidewalls and the loss of top handling characteristics not to mention the higher costs. They also tend to get more blowouts apparently. Many cars now come with a repair kit, which allows a quick fill it with goo and blow it up repair to the tyre. This would also be useful for anyone who cannot change a wheel.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

kevsboredagain wrote: Most of those old diesel engines are long gone but the stigma you talk about is why they've failed to make a hold in the USA market.
My American buddy tells me that, although there's some truth in that historical 'dirty diesel' scenario, the fact that American diesel fuel is more expensive at the pumps (due to higher taxation and other factors) makes the savings experienced by diesel car owners in Europe much less significant in America. Add that to the dearth of choice of available diesel models (mostly costly upmarket cars, rather than smaller and cheaper fuel-efficient ones) and he says that its not hard to see why diesel cars have failed to gain traction in the USA.

And given that spectacular own goal by VW :shock:, he thinks that diesel's market share is not likely to increase in the foreseeable future.
Jim
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

So petrol it is then, but maybe one of the tarnished brands as I might be able to negotiate a discount even on a non-diesel model. I will be buying new and cash.

I had never heard of 'run flat' tyres :oops: I wouldn't have a clue how to change a wheel so I'd have to phone for help if I had a puncture. Most cars these days seem to come with those flimsy spare wheels designed to get you to a garage but little more.

I will not be investing in heated anything - cooling is my priority! I like the idea of the thermal glass that keeps the interior of the car cooler. Is that going to make any real difference if the car is parked out in the baking sun for a few hours?

I do like leather seats - and they are standard on the Evoque - but bearing in mind an earlier comment is this a bad idea in a hot country?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Casscat wrote:I will not be investing in heated anything - cooling is my priority! I like the idea of the thermal glass that keeps the interior of the car cooler. Is that going to make any real difference if the car is parked out in the baking sun for a few hours?

I do like leather seats - and they are standard on the Evoque - but bearing in mind an earlier comment is this a bad idea in a hot country?
Thermal glass is good - we've got it in our house and the difference is considerable and very noticeable. If the car is parked out in the baking sun for a few hours, it will get very hot inside, whatever you do. But a good thing to do is - invest in one of those silver screen thingies and put it over the steering wheel - that way, you won't burn your hands on a hot steering wheel!

You will need heating in the winter, I'm sure. We use our car air con, just turn the dial from blue to red. We also have heated wing mirrors - very useful for the few cold misty mornings/evenings we have here. As for leather seats - surely they will be cold at first in the winter, and hot in the summer?
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
CSE

Post by CSE »

I might be able to negotiate a discount...
you have not lived in Spain have you?
The market is not like the UK.
Look for 0 km.
for example http://www.coches.com/km0/todoterreno-e ... =precio_up
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Casscat wrote: I will not be investing in heated anything - cooling is my priority! I like the idea of the thermal glass that keeps the interior of the car cooler. Is that going to make any real difference if the car is parked out in the baking sun for a few hours?

Often leather seats will have heating as an inexpensive option and when it's 15C or less outside, it's certainly nice to have.

Leather seats do heat up in the sun more than fabric but after a summer here of over 30C for about 8 weeks and touching 38C a couple of times, my biggest problem was a scorching hot steering wheel when the car was left out in the sun. I don't remember the seats being too bad even when wearing shorts. The darker they are, the hotter they will get, which is maybe why a black steering wheel became so hot. My seats are grey.