4x4 Recommendations

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Casscat

4x4 Recommendations

Post by Casscat »

If I move to Spain permanently, and possibly even if I don't, I will need to acquire a 4x4. The access to my own property is reasonable even in the wet season, but visiting friends is another matter. If I take the job I'm applying for my clients will be up all manner of precarious tracks and I need a vehicle tough enough to scale the terrain. Mitigating factors: I am five foot nothing and currently drive a Yaris :mrgreen: I am looking for a solid workhorse but nothing too vast. I parked behind a VW Touareg yesterday and feared it might eat me alive as I made my way back to my car. I don't need to transport sheep or navigate fords with water up to my eyeballs, but I do need something capable and steady and reassuring. Suggestions?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Subaru Outback.

In a rush - sorry.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Panda 4x4.

Bought one - finally - after 8 months of looking; they're like gold dust here. And I LOVE it to bits. She's yellow, 3 years old, and called Polly.

Have a feeling that Susie Jane has one too?
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Honda CRV. Love them. Have had 3 (long story). Massive boot for moving sofas and washing machines.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Ford F-150 Lariate 5.4 Triton.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

A bit more on the Subaru Outback.
It depends of course on your needs, and what dealerships you have in the area for servicing etc.

Most of the vehicles in the same market as the Subaru Outback (or the Subaru Forester) are not full time 4WD but a compromise, aimed more at town use than anything challenging. Something like the L-R Freelander is also the real thing, but expensive (overpriced) if budget is an issue; if it isn't, look at the L-R Discovery or the love-or-hate-the-styling Range Rover Evoque - both amazingly competent (far more capability than 90% of owners will ever use).

My preference for the Outback was based on a few considerations - it had to be able to deal with untreated icy roads, it had to have sufficient ground clearance to deal easily with unmade roads and occasional flooding - basically go anywhere at any time in any conditions - and be highly practical, while preferably not looking like the typical 4x4 tractor. (It also had to have a reasonable level of driver appeal, but that's just me).
It ticked all those boxes, while being fundamentally an estate car rather than an obvious 4x4 of the sort that people spit on.
We previously had a BMW X5; it had higher levels of comfort, a better auto box and more toys. It was very, very good, the Subaru Outback in many respects is better, for a lot less money, and there are very few things about the X5 that I miss (and most of them have been added to later models of the Subaru anyway).

Ours is a late 2006/early 2007 model which we bought used 4 or 5 years ago, and I'd buy another one tomorrow except I find the current styling ugly :? (and we're broke) but then it's a workhorse rather than a work of art. Nonetheless, I might consider the Subaru Forester instead, which is pretty much the same car in a more traditional 4x4 styling, with a fraction more ground clearance.
There's not much competition for the Outback, but the Skoda Octavia Scout is in the running for ability and ruggedness - and a lot of other things (I'd have considered one but couldn't find a dealer within a sensible distance). The Audi All-Road doesn't have the ground clearance and isn't a serious alternative for use away from decent tarmac roads.

Of course the ultimate 4x4 is the Land Rover Defender, which is what is used to tow all the pretenders out of trouble when they get stuck, and by farmers to transport their pigs. Never out of fashion, amazingly expensive (even secondhand, they really do hold their value) more ground clearance and off-road ability than you'll ever use up, and just utterly, miserably uncomfortable to be in on a long motorway run.

You pays yer money......
CSE

Post by CSE »

Before getting a 4x4 look at the rules about hem here. Some will be classed as commercial vehicles and will have different taxes applied plus insurance and annual road worthiness testing (I.T.V.)
Are you thinking about purchasing one in Spain or importing one?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Before getting a 4x4 look at the rules about hem here. Some will be classed as commercial vehicles and will have different taxes applied plus insurance and annual road worthiness testing (I.T.V.)
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

We're on out 3rd Nissan X-trail. I'm only just over 5ft tall myself, and don't find it too much to handle.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

casasantoestevo wrote:Before getting a 4x4 look at the rules about hem here. Some will be classed as commercial vehicles and will have different taxes applied plus insurance and annual road worthiness testing (I.T.V.)
I will be buying in Spain - importing seems like a huge hassle to me.
greenbarn wrote:Something like the L-R Freelander is also the real thing, but expensive (overpriced) if budget is an issue; if it isn't, look at the L-R Discovery or the love-or-hate-the-styling Range Rover Evoque - both amazingly competent (far more capability than 90% of owners will ever use).
I must admit I am coveting an Evoque :mrgreen: Seems to be a good compromise to me in that it doesn't look like a utility vehicle but it is a true 4x4 (or at least the 4x4 models are!) and has Land Rover capabilities sufficient to tackle the worst of the tracks in Andalusia. I have to say I'd not looked at the Subaru range. I'll have a quick butchers.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We test-drove a selection last year and felt the one we would buy was the Skoda Yeti - tough, practical but comfortable and very reassuring - tremendous brakes (we had an emergency stop on our test drive). Everyone we know with one loves it

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Have a look to see what the majority of 4x4s are in your area - hundreds of locals can't be wrong! - and whether there are sufficient service garages nearby. Then go Google for reviews - for instance, the original Mitsubishi L200 4x4 twin cab/ute/pickup was a good strong workhorse - but the modern curvy-cab version is renowned for "wobbling" around corners :shock: Note it was not Jeremy Clarkson's choice of vehicle for his Top Gear trip across the snowy wastes of wherever.

We know somebody with a Subaru Forester (over 15 years old) and it coped far better with rough and muddy conditions on a 4x4 run than did a new LR Discovery with all the electronic bells and whistles ...

If you're offered a choice, I'd recommend a diesel engine over a petrol one - less likely to splutter to a halt when faced with a drop or 3 of the wet stuff :lol:

And if the drivers and standards of driving in Spain are anything like those in Cyprus - don't pick something too small. Size is everything :oops: :lol: and little cars (Smart, Yaris, etc) are not particularly respected on the roads ("beep beep, get out of my way"), whereas we don't have that problem in our Isuzu D-Max twin cab/ute/pickup. And twin cabs are so prevalent over here (in the Paphos district anyway) that there's somebody who can repair/service them in just about every village!

Our twin cab is plenty comfy enough for a motorway trip, as well as coping well with rough terrain, and being a good workhorse for lugging stuff around too.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Marks

Re: 4x4 Recommendations

Post by Marks »

Casscat wrote: I don't need to transport sheep
Yet :lol:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
greenbarn

Re: 4x4 Recommendations

Post by greenbarn »

Marks wrote:
Casscat wrote: I don't need to transport sheep
Yet :lol:
All you have to do to transport them is tickle them under the chin :wink:
CSE

Post by CSE »

Pleased to read you will not be importing. Had friends recently trying to import a VW T5 Transporter into Spain and failed.
Photo of a similar vehicle.
http://es.autoblog.com/2011/10/08/espan ... 5-edition/

Have you a photo of your "rough track"? maybe you do not need an all out 4x4.

What to look for in Spain. This is not going to be about brands or types. As that is a personal choice.
The documentation (in no real order)
Look at the green registration paper.
If the vehicle has any extras like a tow-bar then that should be written in there. If not you cannot legally tow. If there is you will automatically have insurance for the trailer.
You should have a look to see if the vehicle is registered as a Turismo. If not it has several implications. First one is the ITV (MOT) is due every 6 months) The vehicle's insurance will be higher and the speed limit you are allowed on Spanish roads is lower than a car.
On the left there is a space for the ITV stamps. Here in Galicia we now have bar code stickers but where you are they may still have stamps as shown. Without an up-to-date ITV stamp and a small coloured sticker in the windscreen it is not passed any ITV(MOT). The colour of the windscreen sticker changes every year but will have a year on it. Plus a hole punched in the month the test is due. If you get one early then it is from that date and will not cover you for 13 months as in the UK.
Garages in Spain have to give a guarantee. That should be in writing. I have yet to see one!
Impuesto Municipal which equivalent to road tax. This is charged by the local council and will vary from one council to another. Plus the vehicle will have some influence , ie a 1.0 litre engine will be less than a 3 litre engine. It is paid yearly and once paid you will not have to pay anything for that year. Even if the vehicle has been purchased from a different area. Once you are the owner and the impuesto is due the council will send you a note. go to the bank and pay it. You can set up a yearly automatic payment if you want.
You may find you have to pay a transfer tax. I think that is around 3 to 5% of the value.
Car insurance is usually only 3rd party maybe fire and theft. Windows may come in as an extra. It is expensive compared with other countries hence limited cover. You will get recovery included as it is not permitted to tow vehicles on Spanish highways.
The price of second-hand vehicles is usually considered higher than in the UK, plus they usually come with minor dents and scrapes. Here are some websites to look at.
http://www.milanuncios.com/
http://www.coches.net/
http://www.autoscout24.es/
http://www.segundamano.es
http://coches-de-segunda-mano.es/
Hope that helps.