Mediahols Beware

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
lolita

Mediahols Beware

Post by lolita »

If you are thinking about advertising on Mediahols please be aware. I filled in the details and paid for the advert after which you get a note to say your ad is being verified.

After 3 days the advert is not on their website. I get an email telling me to open an attachment which I was hesitant to do but which I subsequently opened. this said that in order for my ad to be active I need first to send them the deed of purchase by email. I was flabbergasted, there is no way I will send personal documents to unknown individual/s.

their answer "you have agreed to the term and conditions" ie
"The User agrees to provide proof relating to any property made available for rent or the identity of the owner upon request by the Company"

They have so far refused to give me a refund and I don't think this is legal.

Any ideas or experiences with Mediahols would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I think 'beware' is too strong. I'd never heard of Mediahols but Goggling threw up some good info including this comment from cast iron reliable LMH member tavi:
tavi wrote:I've been on there for 18 months since we started. Had around 60-70 enquiries and a really good supply of bookings - can't tell you the numbers without looking up my records. Good quality enquiries, and my place isn't very cheap for its size. :D :D

Nearly all from Europe - Portuguese (my location is a very popular area for Portuguese in high season), also Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Belgian etc.

One or two UK bookings from there but most of my UK's come from OD.

I'm really happy with them, the site's not particularly chic but it works well, good search facilities etc. Customer service excellent.
I was asked for this information when I first listed with Owners Direct and I was very, very suspicious. So I called them and they verified that the request had indeed come from them and not some email hijacker. The reason they ask for proof of ownership is exactly what you would hope for - that some scammer cannot set up a bogus ad for your property and lure unwitting holidaymakers into parting with their cash.

If you're not comfortable don't go with it, but if you speak again to someone at the company maybe you will be reassured.
lolita

Post by lolita »

thanks for your answer Casscat. How did you send your contract? Over here the deed of sale agreements are lots and lots of papers. Will they send it back to you. Actually no I don't feel comfortable sending documents to someone I don't know, but they are refusing to give me my money back

I have asked if I can send them utility bills which are addressed to me but so far I am waiting for
their answer.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I just emailed a PDF of the first page. That was enough because it showed my details and the property address.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I'm very flattered to be called cast-iron Casscat. me blushing :arrow: :oops:

It must now be about 4 years since I joined Mediahols (and OD) - at the time they didn't ask for copies of ownership deeds but I can quite see why it's a good security measure.

A bit of a fag but a copy should suffice and it's nothing that isn't publicly available presumably at your local Land Registry?