Personal Website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Casscat wrote:.........

Like I said, I am not a techie so all this means diddly-squat to me. I just want a site that looks appealing, gives all the info, is easy for me to use and visitors to use etc. PMP does not come with add ons like email addresses, but you link to your own domain and email plus you can link to your listings on third party rental sites, FB, Twitter etc. That gives me all the coverage I need.

Casasantoestevo are we at cross purposes about web sites versus domain hosting?
Yes this conversation has moved on to the first steps of obtaining a website. What to look for when registering a name and what a host will supply as part of the package. This is very important. Once a person has these then they can move on to having a website designed.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Looking up the who is for both HelenB and Casscat. It can be seen your websites are hosted by Ukfastnet.
But the details as to who the website is registered to is very different.
Helen has it registered to her name where as Casscat yours is registered to

Code: Select all

register.it
This illustrates part of the thread earlier.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I don't understand what you mean by 'registered to', nor do I know where register.it fits in.
Vince

Post by Vince »

You can buy a domain name from one service, then use a completely different service for hosting.

For example, I use Krystal.co.uk for domain names, and unitedhosting.co.uk for hosting.

As the domain name is owned by me, I can change the webserver (unitedhosting) that hosts the website to go anywhere else I want.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Casscat wrote:I don't understand what you mean by 'registered to', nor do I know where register.it fits in.
The whois about your website:
http://whois.domaintools.com/finca-cars-bonaira.com
The detail is in the section headed Whois Record
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

casasantoestevo wrote:
Casscat wrote:I don't understand what you mean by 'registered to', nor do I know where register.it fits in.
The whois about your website:
http://whois.domaintools.com/finca-cars-bonaira.com
The detail is in the section headed Whois Record
But why does it matter?
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

If something happens to the company or you fell out for example with it for some reason, then they own the domain not you. (I think I'm right in saying but will no doubt be corrected if not!)
Vince

Post by Vince »

Nemo wrote:If something happens to the company or you fell out for example with it for some reason, then they own the domain not you. (I think I'm right in saying but will no doubt be corrected if not!)
Yup, you should always buy the domain yourself.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Vince wrote:
Nemo wrote:If something happens to the company or you fell out for example with it for some reason, then they own the domain not you. (I think I'm right in saying but will no doubt be corrected if not!)
Yup, you should always buy the domain yourself.
It's not something I had even considered before. The average person who employs a designer to make a site would have little idea of how to buy a domain name and assign it to the appropriate servers.

If you fall out with your designer, there is the remote chance that they refuse to hand over your £5 or £10 domain name but what about the website? I'd be much more worried about losing 100s of hours of work.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm just Mrs Average kevsboredagain, but perhaps I've hung around here long enough to learn more than the average? I've bought all my own domain names, pay for my hosting but used a designer to do the redirects and techie bits. Buying a domain and webhosting isn't techie.....is it?! :shock:
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Nemo wrote:I'm just Mrs Average kevsboredagain, but perhaps I've hung around here long enough to learn more than the average? I've bought all my own domain names, pay for my hosting but used a designer to do the redirects and techie bits. Buying a domain and webhosting isn't techie.....is it?! :shock:
Yes, I'd say you were more techie than most. It's easy to be ripped off and buy a domain for a stupid price.

Even if you had the domain under your control, what would happen to your site if your design goes AWOL?

Edit: Just looking at my hosting site and I see that it's possible to specify different details for the domain name. I can have owner, billing, technical and admin - all different. I guess the client should be listed there as the owner.
ie. your designer can still purchase the domain name for you and set you as the owner....off to fix that right now.
Last edited by kevsboredagain on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

But I do own my domain :? It's just linked to the PMP site but the domain name is mine. If PMP died on its arse overnight I'd have to recreate my site somewhere else, but the web address to my domain name would remain. I'm sorry if I'm being thick here, but I am seeing the two elements as being separate - the web hosting site and the domain name. The former belongs to someone else and the latter to me.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Casscat wrote:
But why does it matter?
Read back over this thread. There are some points for, but nearly all against not having control.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Casscat wrote:But I do own my domain :? It's just linked to the PMP site but the domain name is mine. If PMP died on its arse overnight I'd have to recreate my site somewhere else, but the web address to my domain name would remain. I'm sorry if I'm being thick here, but I am seeing the two elements as being separate - the web hosting site and the domain name. The former belongs to someone else and the latter to me.
Well if and that is a big if things go wrong here is some advice.
http://www.loriswebs.com/domain-stolen.html
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/218600
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140623 ... e-designer
Vince

Post by Vince »

Casscat wrote:The former belongs to someone else and the latter to me.
And this is a good thing. So long as you've got a backup of your website, if your hosting goes down then you can always move your backups to a new host and change the domain name to point to the new hosting server.

If your developers own the domain name and they go out of business/you have a falling out/they just lose interest, they can choose to no longer pay for the domain name and boom all your traffic has gone.