Long-term rental

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Marg

Long-term rental

Post by Marg »

Have just had an enquiry for someone wanting to book from Nov thru to Apr07. We were planning to go out around Christmas for a few weeks and also get the house painted etc in Jan/Feb so think I might turn them down!
They also have a dog which is the main reason for saying no.
Am just wondering what sort of rent one would charge - presumably they wouldn't expect cleaning and laundry for that length of let.
Normal short let prices would be about £300 - £350 a week in the Algarve
Vally

Post by Vally »

I had a long term rental ( 2 months) the first year we converted... it was a very unpleasant marriage break up situation.. they seemed to think we were their best friends as all others shunned them for what they had done....I couldn't stand them and am still fending off his phone calls, I will definately think twice before doing it again .( we do live in the same premises so it made it easy for them)
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

We've always given a 50% discount on our normal rates, but have charged for utilities (which makes the true discount somewhat less than 50%).
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

There are some old threads on this subject you may find useful:

viewtopic.php?t=341

viewtopic.php?t=1552

I find I get more income and less wear and tear (also the opportunity to decorate!) by not doing long term lets, but I know there are other people who prefer them. If you do it, I agree 100% with Brooke on the utilities front, they must pay for their own consumption, don't include it in the rent. Get a good deposit too.
Marg

Post by Marg »

Susan, Thank you for that link - I was sure there must have been something before about this topic!

This is our first year renting and we have bookings from mid May to the end of September which we are really pleased about.

We want to be able to go out there a few times ourselves so we really don't want to be fully booked all the time!
Angel

Post by Angel »

Hi Marg

The other thing to consider is that long-term renters will use your home as a home... whereas holiday renters will probably use your home as a base just to sleep and chill out.

Marion