Loo rolls

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

As far as I remember, in 9 years I've only been asked twice for more loo roll and they were both English. I've had Americans and repeat Canadians so I wouldn't worry about losing them over a loo roll.

Sorry, I said I wouldn't say any more on the subject. Last time I promise. Off to check my loo roll stock.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I always find it strange that there is a tick box on VRBO to say whether you provide paper towels or not, but not one to say whether you provide loo paper. I don't tick mine but I still leave at least one (talking paper towels here). I consider paper towels a very unnecessary item in the kitchen and wasteful of resources when a much longer lasting j-cloth will do. But Americans don't seem to be able to do without them.

On the loo roll question - my rather "difficult" current American guests emailed a one line unsigned email, BEFORE they arrived to say, rather rudely I thought, "Please tell me you provide more than one toilet roll". There were two of them there for 13 days and I was going to leave 6 but I was so pi**ed off with them, I only left 4 in the end. I hope they have to go shopping (but they will probably find and raid my paper towel store and block the loo...)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

FelicityA wrote: On the loo roll question - my rather "difficult" current American guests emailed a one line unsigned email, BEFORE they arrived to say, rather rudely I thought, "Please tell me you provide more than one toilet roll".
Oooh, so tempting to have said "Yes, no problem, I'll provide two."

Didn't take me long to count my stock of 8 toilet rolls. Suppose I'd better buy some more. Really am signing off now.

Doh, this thread has just reminded me that I forgot to top up my provision of dishwasher tablets in the drawer on Saturday and there were none left! Brace, Brace.....
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

FelicityA wrote:I always find it strange that there is a tick box on VRBO to say whether you provide paper towels or not, but not one to say whether you provide loo paper. I don't tick mine but I still leave at least one (talking paper towels here). I consider paper towels a very unnecessary item in the kitchen and wasteful of resources when a much longer lasting j-cloth will do.
I don't fancy blowing my nose with a J cloth! And how do you use one J Cloth as a napkins for a family?
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

newtimber wrote: I don't fancy blowing my nose with a J cloth!
Whyever not? You can rinse the snot off and reuse!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

newtimber wrote:
FelicityA wrote:I always find it strange that there is a tick box on VRBO to say whether you provide paper towels or not, but not one to say whether you provide loo paper. I don't tick mine but I still leave at least one (talking paper towels here). I consider paper towels a very unnecessary item in the kitchen and wasteful of resources when a much longer lasting j-cloth will do.
I don't fancy blowing my nose with a J cloth! And how do you use one J Cloth as a napkins for a family?
They are supposed to have their own tissues for blowing their noses (it is self catering after all) but I actually provide a box, just in case they have been silly enough to forget and I provide table napkins anyway.
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

I seem to recall in another thread about the end destination of the loo roll that someone suggested this notice at their loos;
Please only flush toilet paper and things you've eaten down this toilet.
This suggests to me that the catering and the loo roll are clearly separate items and the excuse for only providing (x-y) loo rolls (where x is the number required by the guest and y is the number dictated by the relevant austerity measures) cannot be explained by the term self-catering.

Self-cleansing, perhaps?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

edinburgh wrote:
newtimber wrote: I don't fancy blowing my nose with a J cloth!
Whyever not? You can rinse the snot off and reuse!
No need to supply any loo rolls either then!
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

The only time we've had guests complain about lack of loo roll was from an Australian. English people seem fine with the concept of buying their own.

We stay at the same rental in Florida every year and pay top whack as it's right on the beach. However, they are very very clear in their arrival instructions that NOTHING is provided. I think the key here is managing the guests expectations. I sometimes get requests to list what's included/provided so perhaps that's the way to go?

With the Florida one we know to stop off on the way to pick up supplies.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

If they're coming from an agency (locals), they get 1 roll on the holder and 1 on the stick in each loo.

If they're from our own Dutch site (locals) they get an extra roll on the stick.

If they're coming from abroad, we will put 3-4 rolls on the stick in each loo.

If they're coming from abroad and staying 2 weeks or more we will completely fill the stick holder (so, around 6 rolls).

If they're repeat guests, they get the full holder, but upgraded from 2-ply to 3-4 ply rolls.

Also, if there is less than half a roll left on the holder, then they get a new one there as well.

Easy really....
JanB

Post by JanB »

AngloDutch wrote:If they're coming from an agency (locals), they get 1 roll on the holder and 1 on the stick in each loo.

If they're from our own Dutch site (locals) they get an extra roll on the stick.

If they're coming from abroad, we will put 3-4 rolls on the stick in each loo.

If they're coming from abroad and staying 2 weeks or more we will completely fill the stick holder (so, around 6 rolls).

If they're repeat guests, they get the full holder, but upgraded from 2-ply to 3-4 ply rolls.

Also, if there is less than half a roll left on the holder, then they get a new one there as well.

Easy really....
I was interested in your post and to notice you are from Holland as my "loo roll policy" started after a stay in a fabulous apartment in Amsterdam some years ago. They left a very generous supply and it made me feel the owners had thought it through. Subsequent visits have been because I felt they really bothered to think about important issues and were not penny pinching. Such a small thing, but it is all in the detail.

It is an odd subject because when I ran a B&B, we only left one on the holder and one spare, (daily servicing for rooms, so different to a weekly letting) as invariably any more would disappear when the guest departed, along with all the coffee sticks and tea bags......!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

JanB wrote: I was interested in your post and to notice you are from Holland as my "loo roll policy" started after a stay in a fabulous apartment in Amsterdam some years ago. They left a very generous supply and it made me feel the owners had thought it through. Subsequent visits have been because I felt they really bothered to think about important issues and were not penny pinching. Such a small thing, but it is all in the detail.

It is an odd subject because when I ran a B&B, we only left one on the holder and one spare, (daily servicing for rooms, so different to a weekly letting) as invariably any more would disappear when the guest departed, along with all the coffee sticks and tea bags......!
I'm actually the 'Anglo' one, but having lived here almost 25 years I must be more Dutch now than British. :)

The Dutch are often seen by other nationalities as 'penny-pinching', but this is mostly down to the fact that Dutch people don't like to waste things and are very practical.

Because many Dutch don't like to waste things, including money, that's the reason why we don't give too many rolls to locals staying a weekend.
If they think that it was included in what they paid, they will take it with them when they leave. :lol:
Marks

Post by Marks »

One on the holder (not less than half) and one spare. No difference between nationalities, length of stay, source of the booking, availability of loo rolls locally, shop opening hours compared to flight arrival times or any other factor. Never had a complaint, never asked for more in fact no-one has ever mentioned loo paper in any context whatsoever so I guess I'm spot on with my 'policy'. I cannot remember the last time I bought loo roll as my guests seem to buy a pack of 12 from the local shop and leave me with what remains. Currently I have 17 rolls 'in stock' :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Marks wrote:I cannot remember the last time I bought loo roll as my guests seem to buy a pack of 12 from the local shop and leave me with what remains. Currently I have 17 rolls 'in stock' :wink:
But what do you do with them? They are either low quality thin and narrow or extra quilted that block up the sewage system...
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

Edinburgh, do you think your guest sounded "awfully dissapointed"because she was in- or on!- the loo at the time of phoning?
Could you have mistaken "disappointed" for "desperate"?
:)