Made it!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Loopy Lou

Made it!

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi everyone,

Been off-line for ages due to leaving my job in the UK, selling my house and moving to France! At last!! :lol:

I finished work on 30th June, moved out of my house on 12th July after two days with the removers packing and loading my house into a huge removal van, stayed with a friend till 6.00 a.m. on Monday 17th July and drove down via the chunnel to Chaunay in the Vienne with my dog and two goldfish and assorted bits in the back of my non-airconditioned car, arriving at 6.00 p.m. after 540 miles of driving! Boy, was it hot.

I am now living in a farmhouse in the hamlet of La Charronniere about 2 miles from the village of Chaunay just off the RN10 south of Poitiers with the people who are selling me the property. The day after I arrived here, my possessions were delivered mostly into the barn and some into the house. The temperature was in the low 40s and those two removal men worked their socks off in that temendous heat and didn't even have time for a quick swim before they had to leave to go to another job. Poor things. The day after that, Chris and Lin and I went to see the notaire to sign the compromis de vente!

Chris and Lin are saints and we are getting on very well while we wait for the notaire to do his stuff. We are hoping that completion will be 5th September as that is what's on the compromis. In the meantime, I am learning the ropes and meeting new people and I have received my first booking deposit for both gites for October half-term!!

I still can't believe it's true. It feels like a dream! Weird. :shock:

I'm looking forward to all the help and advice I may need in the coming months and to hearing from you all.

A bientot,

Loopy :D
Louise
www.lacharronniere.com delightful gites in the Vienne countryside.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Congratulations and good luck with your new life.You must be feeling fantasic just now, long may it last.
debk

Post by debk »

Great to hear from you Loopy. Enjoy!
debk
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Congrats Lou! What an achievement - and in such a short time. Sounds as if you've been very lucky with your vendors, and to have accommodation plus a proper hand-over before completion is terrific - not to mention a couple of bookings already - neat! Every success in your new home and venture.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Good Luck Louise!!!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Congratulations Lou!
enid

Post by enid »

Bienvenue en France et bon chance :D
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Fantastic - well done! Doesn't that awful experience you had a few months ago feel worth it now?!

I bet you are walking round like a chechire cat now!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Well done !! You deserve it !! Bookings as well- this time it sounds perfect!! :lol: :D

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Thanks all. It all seems rather strange at the moment, living in the house that isn't yet mine and not being able to do my own thing, but I am sure I will miss Lin and Chris when they go and feel like a fish out of water for a while. Scary, but getting there. :shock:
Louise
A-two

Post by A-two »

Lou, great to hear that things are going so well. Sounds perfect.
Maisy

Post by Maisy »

Hi Lou
So pleased you have finally done it! Let me know your new email address or can I still reach you on your old one??
I have rented out my house and moved into the garage for a month...last week I did change over for both houses.....just finished by seconds, when the first family arrived - it was hard work, but that is how it is. No point in complaining!
You will be fine.
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi Guys,

If you pm me I'll give you my new email address.

A bientot,

Lou

PS: another potential booking today! I hope the offer of a free night's babysitting will clinch it!
Louise
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hooray !! When do the ex-owners move out so that you can start making your mark on it ? Have you a web site we can look at ? Have a great day :lol:
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

There is a website, but I need to get it up to scratch. Most (all) bookings come from an ad on Visit France ref. 4107. It has been very successful for the present owners. Completion is supposed to be 5th September, so that is what we are working towards. I want to build my own website for the property and will need help with that.

I am planning to renovate two buildings in the dependances if I have enough capital; one was a cottage with a genuine bread oven (the previous owner's grandparents used to make the bread for the commune - he lives next door) and the other is called the "garage" and is next door to the farmhouse, between it and the workshop. They are both on two floors with window openings and lovely beamed roofs, so I hope I will be able to do both. On va voir.

Getting all my stuff from the barn into the house is slightly daunting as I will need help, but it's difficult to do anything about it until the present owners have moved their stuff out and I can see where I want my furniture to go. Also, I want to demolish a wall that is presently dividing the living-room in two and, although it isn't a supporting wall, a judicious beam across the span would be advisable in such an old property (1865) to support the floor above. The farmhouse is singularly lacking in power sockets as well, so some additional wiring will be required.

I have a busy time ahead of me....... :shock:

Anyone nearby who would like to visit, drop me a pm.

A bientot,

Lou
Louise