List of complaints a mile long from our latest guests

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Sara

Can you let us know how things went.?

I agree with the others they should have contacted you while they were there.

I dont think I would send that amount of compensation[if any] :(
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to renting (one year) and new to the forum. I've been 'riveted' to this thread..!

I was mad with guests last week. Here's the story:

Firstly, I receive an email asking if there is a welcome pack provided, as they can't see anything about it in the website...(that's no, then!)

I always leave welcome treats - but don't advertise on the website. I made a special effort for these guests...homemade chocolate cake, fresh bread from local bakery, wine, cold drinks, fruit, cereals, jam, coffee, tea, sugar, olive oil, balsamic vinegar...

...plus cling film, silver foil, bin bags, toilet rolls, first-aid kit, sewing kit... the list goes on....

I also invited them to make use of our own adult bikes (4).

Wishing them a good holiday, I confirmed departure time: 10am and left to drive home (2,5 hours). They were well aware I did not live 'on site'.

I phoned mid-week to check everything was ok (it was), and reconfirmed departure time, 10am. Discreetly, of course!

On Saturday, I arrived generously late, at 10.25, to find them still making sandwiches in the kitchen :evil:

Not wanting to bother them, I left the house again. We agreed I would come back at 11 am. When I returned they were still not ready :twisted:
They finally left at 11.30.

I was starting to panic at this point because I had 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, lounge, kitchen and 2 outdoor areas to clean before next arrivals turned up at 3 p.m.

I fixed a smile on my face and bid them a cheery goodbye, but they must have felt bad vibes!! When I got my testimonial posted (to a website which some of you must know) I was very aggrieved to read that the house had been great, but they had one gripe - 'it would have been preferable for the extractor fans in the downstairs toilet and bathroom to have been in working order' HOW PETTY!

I was hopping mad :evil: because I had made such an effort for these guests, and they had not even had the courtesy to alert me to this 'problem' (the fans had been inadvertently switched off!), either when I phoned midweek or when they left.

So there we are - you can't please them all!

There again, I should mention the fantastic couple from Ireland who bought me a bottle of Baileys (at the beginning of the holiday!!)

Bon courage to all you hardworking holiday renters out there!
Jenny
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

...I forgot : apologies to Gascony, who has already had to plough through my 'rant' (see above!)

Are my expectations (of guests) too high??
enid

Post by enid »

Are my expectations (of guests) too high??
No!!!!!

I really can't understand people who have had the chance to say something about a complaint when they are in situ and said nothing then making a thing about it afterwards - you're not the first with a tale like this. We have only had one 'take as much as you can for free and still not be happy' family this year - all the others have been a delight.

Forget 'em - I know easier said than done wxhen you have put so much effort into giving their holiday a personal touch.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Dear Enid,

I can't tell you what a relief it is to share this type of 'incident' with others who have been through the same thing. If I remember rightly, you said somewhere your dear husband is incapable of working up the correct level of indignation? Mine is exactly the same, bless. But sometimes you need to hear it from someone else that you have not got things all out of proportion :D

So thanks, I feel better already. Roll on next Saturday!!
sunny by nature

Post by sunny by nature »

Jenny,

I am full of admiration that you managed to keep smiling in such a difficult situation. How fast did you work to get the house ready - or did you have a whole team helping you? Hats off to you, I would never have managed that.

We had a similar situation in the summer when we arrived at the back of 10am to find our guests still in bed! Luckily, my cleaners have perfected the art of showing complete displeasure in a polite but firm manner - worth their weight in gold. I sort of did a flappy hand panic act in the background, whilst they just got on with clearing the apartment room by room of people and possessions. My heroes. 8)

My husband is still never capable of reaching the correct level of indignation (realised after my last post that indignancy wasn't a proper word :oops: ), but I'm slowly learning!
it's life Jim but not as we know it
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Hello Sunny by Nature,

I really do adhere to the Customer Service thingy, so I tried as HARD as I could to be polite, but they must have spotted me trembling with rage!!! That and the fact that I made my way upstairs (sighing loudly), got changed into my cleaning clothes - that guests should not have to see!! - and started swinging my vacuum cleaner resolutely.

In response to their testimonial I very professionally - so I believe! - apologised for the inconvenience and thanked them for pointing it out so I could look into it. Straight out of the Customer Care manual, don't you think?! :wink:

She emailed me back - said 'No problem' Your house was fantastic, blah, blah, blah, and they would like to come back - with 6 adults, 3 children, goodness knows how many babies (and pet elephant, no doubt!!!) COULD I RECOMMEND ANOTHER PROPERTY with the charm and loveliness of my own !!! (Which they of course neglected to specify in the testimonial....

Hmmphhh.

Ever helpful, I sent two recommendations (poor owners....)

My house will obviously be full, should they ever wish to return :twisted:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

... oh yes, I did the whole house myself. I haven't yet found the PERFECT CLEANING LADY - I will pay big bucks!! :lol:
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Jenny wrote:I haven't yet found the PERFECT CLEANING LADY
Jenny - have a word with Didier who runs the Minutias Village residence as well as the "Un Dimanche a la Mer" gift shop next door (it's the one that sells those funky "Ile de Re French Atlantic Island" t-shirts). He seems to know loads of people on the island. Tell him you were sent by a friend of Mr and Mrs Foster and Mr and Mrs Hohman who always stay with him every August. I'm sure he will be able to advise you.

Although my house is a million miles away from yours, here's another tip. I gave up trying to find a cleaner by word of mouth, after my last one died. (This is not a joke. She did tragically die of cancer last autumn. She was the same age as me. :cry: ). I now go through a local employment agency - it's great, they send me a monthly bill, and although it costs more because I have to pay the cotisations, the fact that I get an official invoice means that I can put it through the books and offset the expense against tax. Anyway, I'm sure that there must be a similar agency in La Couarde. Didier will be able to advise you.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Oohh fantastic, Thanks ever so much Catherine. I love Un D. a la Mer (even have one of the funky t-shirts!). Will definitely consult Didier (wonder if he will share such classified information with me? Good cleaning ladies on the island are widely known to be worth their weight in gold..)

Will let you know what happens.

Sorry to hear about your lady - puts rental problems truly in perspective ...
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Catherine, since we might be having to rethink our caretaking situation, what does the agency charge you per hour?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Jenny said :

They finally left at 11.30.

I was starting to panic at this point because I had 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, lounge, kitchen and 2 outdoor areas to clean before next arrivals turned up at 3 p.m.

How did you manage to do that to a high standard on your own? Wow, you must be Superwoman :wink:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

Yeah, well, it was tough! And I wasn't looking my coolest when the next family arrived !

When the going gets tough...and all that...!! Gulp.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

Gascony Goat wrote:Catherine, since we might be having to rethink our caretaking situation, what does the agency charge you per hour?
16.25 Euros per hour.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks, that's useful to know. :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be