Book of the House everyone still using a folder?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I use a web page with PDFs and "how to" videos. I laminate some key pages with things like phone numbers and WiFi password and leave them at the property. Then I have a collection of tourist brochures in the property of course. I provide a PC too but I'd say not many people use it and I can see from my router that almost every one brings either a tablet or WiFi enabled phone.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

I send them a PDF welcome pack first, which includes directions, where to park, how to use the heating, that sort of thing.

Inside the flat is a folder with the details in plastic wallets, plus photocopies of washing machine instructions, which cable TV channels are enabled and so on.

Looks smart enough - everyone seems happy - I don't think there's any need to go overboard :)
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I've always had a 'hard copy' house book - currently 20-odd pages, presented in a wooden-cased ex-menu holder. From next year though I'm going virtual - everything will be in the forms of links and folders on a Chromebook that will in the guest accommodation, for their use. I've already set up a specific Google account for guests that will have its own files, lists of favourites etc etc, and the Chromebook will be connected by default to that account.

The advantage is not only that it can be updated quickly, but also that I can include masses of walking and other local information too. I'm finally declaring war on all the bits of tourist information paper that collect every year ... we're paper free in every other walk of life, so this is the last bastion. I've gone for a Chromebook because lots of people - me included - find tablets a pain to use, and because they're just so easy to use even if you've never used one before!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We have always offered the use of a chrome book (or netbook previously) and have it set so the user sees our website.

I'm thinking that if the house book only had the stuff in it that didn't fit on a website then it might just get read more often. It is a lot to get through at first glance and now with the website and facebook page they can be knowledgeable about most things before they get here.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

I'm still with the folder brigade and plastic page holders inside so I can change info easily if and when required.

I too have put general info on my website, but am being careful as it does get copied!
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

I have been thinking along the same lines , however with 4 apartments the i pad option is bit costly
but i am look for a way around the endless of brochures and leaflets i have to dispose of at each changeover that guests have used them for drinks coasters or writing their shopping lists on etc

i have been thinking along the lines of maybe a guest only area on my website after all i supply them with free WiFi so something i can update remotely but it is still in the planning stage
but for this season i have the folder option with wipeable pockets
but it is not the best option long term
i think i need to update the whole guest information system
alcooper

Book of the house everyone still using a folder?

Post by alcooper »

We have 9 cottages so ipads would be costly - we have a folder in each cottage with information about the site, pool opening times etc, also recommended local pubs/restaurants, maps of nearest towns, emergency phone numbers (doctor, dentist, optician etc) nearest supermarkets, and instructions for all the appliances, washing machine, dishwasher, microwave etc. We also get quite a lot of elderly people who I'm sure prefer to read a folder - it's easy to update any of the pages if necessary.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Laminated pages in a custom ringbinder for me. Not only easy to update, change & add to but it won't crack when dropped either!
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Why ipads? There are lots of cheap tablets available. I certainly wouldn't iPads in my gites. But a good point, the son of guests last week dropped my iPad on the floor in my house. Very embarrassing for all concerned.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

I can't really see how tablets bring much value to the table. At least the batteries in my £1 worth of binder will never run out ;)
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I send guests an advance PDF of the Guest Information brochure, but who reads it? Probably 35% at best. However while there I'll wager that around 85% have a leaf through (that figure allows for the 'don't give a flying' contingent). I'm currently anti tablet format because it's not universally understood and accepted by guests but I do see the merits of rapid update plus the translation tools that will cover a lot of international bases.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

. I trialled the Insider Guides for Andy who used to be involved at Getaway Earth
http://www.vacationinsiders.com/travel- ... -services/
His other project was Touchstay http://touchstay.com/ which was a digital welcome book. I was offered a trial on there too, but I had just spent ages adding everything to Dropbox so declined it.
touchstay.com is the web address, but I've no idea how it is going.
aasta

Post by aasta »

Ringbinders in each of our 5 guestrooms....much used and appreciated, especially by the over 65aged walkers -- which we get lots of and who are not all as computer savy as they would like to be.
aasta
Circé

Post by Circé »

Whatever... does any guest actually absorb/read your key info?
No. They leave their brains at home.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

HelenB wrote:. I trialled the Insider Guides for Andy who used to be involved at Getaway Earth
http://www.vacationinsiders.com/travel- ... -services/
His other project was Touchstay http://touchstay.com/ which was a digital welcome book. I was offered a trial on there too, but I had just spent ages adding everything to Dropbox so declined it.
touchstay.com is the web address, but I've no idea how it is going.
I like the look of the touchstay product, it suspect it will take some setting up. One of the benefits is bang up to date info on what's happening locally - instead of my once a year up of the book of the house. I am going to research this option over the next week or so but would def be a 2016 change due to the time take to set up etc.,