Refunds

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
renwaa

Refunds

Post by renwaa »

Just had a returning client postpone/cancel their trip this year due too ill health. As they have been good clients for the last 3 years we gave them a full 100% refund! However the airlines would not refund full amount and I expect neither would all your "big friendly booking sites" if they had booked through them! I hope some day people will realise that the personal touch still matters
What do others do in similar circumstances?
The gift to see ourselves as others see us
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi renwaa

You have not mentioned how long before arrival they cancelled. We had 2 cancellations this year, one the night before arrival, another a few weeks before they were due to pay the balance.

We will always try to re let dates and refund what we can. Guests should always take out comprehensive travel insurance, if they are regular visitors or not. We should not have to cover their risk.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I've been known to give full refunds for repeat and non repeat customers too. We do it because 'we can' and we are 'human' unlike the faceless listing sites whose main focus is profits. I'm sure the guests realised they would not have been so lucky if they had booked via a large company and they appreciated the personal touch. I certainly wouldn't routinely refund and I take it on a case per case basis. Thankfully cancellations are rare usually.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

Can they not claim via their travel insurance?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

As per many other LMH members, I am not their travel insurance. However, in the event of a cancellation, the dates are put back on the calendar, re marketed and in the event of a relet, either a partial or full refund made. I also reserve the right to take a small admin charge. The guests can see I'm doing my best for them, better than the big companies, but I'm not in a position to lose out because of their change in circumstance.

It's fair to both parties this way.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Exactly what Nemo says.

Which part of "business" and "contract" do guests struggle to understand?

We all have the luxury of running our own business as we wish and can make a judgement on any particular case, but unjustified refunds simply send out a message that people in our line of business are not to be taken seriously - and that message is bad news for all of us.

That's not to say that we wouldn't all do our utmost to help - particularly a regular guest - and we all take a small hit sometimes as a part of the personal touch and valuing goodwill as a business asset; but goodwill only has a value if it's actually created or maintained by our actions, otherwise we've just paid somebody from our own pocket for absolutely nothing.

We all have different levels of involvement with our guests, the personal side is important and there's never going to be a hard and fast one-size-fits-every-situation rule - except not to give our own money away to undeserving causes!
Essar

Post by Essar »

What GB says.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
kevsboredagain

Re: Refunds

Post by kevsboredagain »

renwaa wrote:Just had a returning client postpone/cancel their trip this year due too ill health. As they have been good clients for the last 3 years we gave them a full 100% refund! However the airlines would not refund full amount and I expect neither would all your "big friendly booking sites" if they had booked through them! I hope some day people will realise that the personal touch still matters
What do others do in similar circumstances?
I did a partial refund once too out of kindness when the person got taken into hospital at the last minute. A few months later along comes a letter from the insurance company because they were claiming 100% of the rental. They never booked again in subsequent years either, so where did my personal touch get me?

After also being generous in the past refunding when things go wrong, I'm now of the cynical opinion that 90% of people will never return kindness.
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

I've taken the hit on a regular guest cancelling last year and I didn't manage to get the dates rebooked.

I've partially refunded someone when I've got dates rebooked a\t very late notice and got a complete ear bashing and some very nasty emails from her.

Current guests booked about 8 weeks ago and have to curtail their stay by 6 nights (only now staying 3) which is a big shame; due to medical reasons. I said I'd help with travel insurance claims. (they don't have any). I said I'd try and get dates rebooked (no chance really with 3 days to go before they go again!) but I did get a very nice email back saying that they don't expect me to refund, even if I do get the dates rebooked.) I was quite surprised, I'm used to this scenario going down like a lead balloon.

But I did mail them back to say that if I do get dates rebooked, I will, of course, refund them something.

My personal view is that I do recommend very strongly both in my emails and in my booking form, that guests take out travel insurance and I spell out what will happen if they cancel and they haven't got it AND I provide links to a travel insurance company. In view of all this, I don't feel it's up to me to reimburse them if it goes t**ts up when they don't take it out.
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
brightmike

Post by brightmike »

Perhaps another option would be to offer a discount off a future booking?
Our property website can be found by looking at our profile.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

brightmike wrote:Perhaps another option would be to offer a discount off a future booking?
When I started, I offered that as an option, but you realise life is too unpredictable for us all. Those that want to return will always come, but for others it's best not to tie them down. It potentially creates more work for you as an owner, to keep track of the monies and credit them to the next booking, especially if they don't know what dates they want at the time of cancellation. Keep the two things separate is best IMHO.
renwaa

refunds

Post by renwaa »

Thanks for your comments. Email from client today does not want money back but can he reserve for next year! (treatment going well ...cancer) something to look forward to he says!
The gift to see ourselves as others see us
july

Post by july »

Just had first cancellation. 23 days before arrival. The wed to wed week has been blanked out since feb preventing 2 sat to sat bookings. He wants full refund? I don't know what to do?[/list]
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

The answer has to be 'no, unless I can re-let in the meantime without loss' surely? What reason did they give for cancellation july? Advise them to consult their travel insurance company, although I am willing to bet that they don't actually have insurance :roll:
july

Post by july »

Well I'll health was the reason. They are coming from Canada so surely they have insurance. I just feel bad but at the same time have a business.