Pillow Protectors. My stupid question

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
GillianF

Pillow Protectors. My stupid question

Post by GillianF »

I appreciate this is probably a stupid question but I hope you'll bear with me.

What, exactly, do pillow protectors protect? Obviously, they protect the pillow. But, what sort of protection do they really provide.

Each of my pillows (my own, kids and gite beds) have a 100% cotton white pillowcase on and then the 'top' coloured/patterned one which matches the duvet cover.

We have had a particularly hot and sweaty Summer and I've noticed that the 'under' cotton pillowcases are 'yellowing'. In some cases the pillow is also suffering. The top (duvet matching) pillowcase on my husband's pillow is being changed every two or three days as I notice it getting very grubby. (He's a very 'hot' person.)

Would a pillow protector negate the need for the 100% cotton pillowcase? Would it protect the pillow adequately on it's own or is it just another layer? Is, indeed, the 100% cotton the equivalent of a pillow protector?
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I use 2 pillowslips too, and no pillow protector. But I can buy pillows from the manufacturer's shop for less than 10 euro each, so consider them a disposable item, like wine glasses :lol:
I do however, change them over for fresh ones and clean the used ones. If they're too bad, they get put in the "animal charity" pile.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I think the pillow protector gives far more protection that one layer of an under-pillowcase which is what I used to use. I have rarely had stains come through the protector to the pillow. You can also get ones which are non-allergenic (or whatever...) so that is good for some people and I usually buy that kind as I think they are thicker. I have considered having an under pillowcase as well but then that is three things to wash and the pillow protectors are light and easy to wash anyway and don't need ironing. It is of course possible that they are sweatier than a cotton pillowcase and you might notice that in a hot climate, as they are made of mixed fibres (I think?).
Last edited by FelicityA on Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I use thick, quilted (cotton where I can get it) pillow protectors underneath my cotton pillow-case. The quilted ones absorb excess sweat, dribble, whatever and are washed between alternate guests.

Otherwise I'd be swapping for new pillows several times every summer - cannot abide those yellowing sweat marks you get on the pillows and no matter how much they say the pillow is washable - it isn't but the protectors are, so my pillows stay pristine - no musty smell, no marks.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Thank you ladies. It looks as though pillow protectors might be a better way to go now.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Gillian for a hot, sweaty OH's (they're definitely the worst offenders) pillow case it might be worth adding a further cotton layer! Or even a moisture proof initial layer. .

Obviously, just to be clear... eventually the pillow needs renewing - am not saying they last for ever :)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

+1 for proper protectors as opposed for extra pillow cases. My pillows are still spotlessly clean and no yellowing.
Isy

Post by Isy »

Bunny wrote:+1 for proper protectors as opposed for extra pillow cases. My pillows are still spotlessly clean and no yellowing.
+1, when we started in 2011, we got our pillow protectors from M&S (20% off until midnight). They are quilted and so thick that the pillows are spotless.
http://www.marksandspencer.fr/Prot%C3%A ... tml?start=
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger !
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I'll be looking at Out of Eden pillow protectors I think. They've given good service on replacement linen, towels and pillows I did earlier in the year.

Point taken re OH and His Pillow. This has sort of come to a head to need sorting out because I have just replaced a lot of cheap(er) pillows with Out of Eden 'Wash 'n' Bounce' and with the hot, sweaty weather we've had I realise I don't want to be washing them too often because of staining. I'd like to think they'll last a couple of years in the gites even if our own don't .......
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I can also recommend Dorma 'Forever Full' pillows. They are as good as new after two years.
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

Slight thread creep, but what m I doing wrong when I wash pillows? They always go lumpy, even the more expensive Dorma ones or Ikea ones. I've taken to buying cheapo Wilko ones and replacing them several times a season, but I feel I'm adding to landfill somewhat...
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

jenboyle1959 wrote:Slight thread creep, but what m I doing wrong when I wash pillows? They always go lumpy, even the more expensive Dorma ones or Ikea ones. I've taken to buying cheapo Wilko ones and replacing them several times a season, but I feel I'm adding to landfill somewhat...
I've found the best way to wash (my home pillows) pillows, at the risk of them coming out like week old rice pudding, is to lay them carefully inside the drum so they line the drum, if you know what I mean, that way the don't bounce around getting traumatised. Then they need to be air dried flat and turned regularly to make sure they dry all the way through. I think they can only be washed a couple of times though.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

When I first started washing pillows I actually unpicked the covers and took out the stuffing - it usually comes out in a lump if you're careful and you can keep it that way until you're ready to put the cover back on. (Obviously, this will depend on the type of stuffing - won't work with feathers!!!). I then washed the cover and put it back on and re-sewed. I'll admit I like a bit of hand sewing now and again and it was quite therapeutic at the end of a season.

Now, though I have taken to soaking the pillows (if necessary) flat in the sink, then in the washing machine for a quick wash with the least amount of spin and then dry flat in the sun and turn regularly.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

A thumbs up for the quilted pillow protectors from Out of Eden. I've bought various ones from different sources over the years, but those are the best by far. Just need to equip my home with them now as well!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Bunny wrote:I can also recommend Dorma 'Forever Full' pillows. They are as good as new after two years.
Bunny. Have you washed them? Am in the market for new pillows but these have very mixed reviews. Do you put one or two on the bed? Thanks.

P.S. Another vote for M&S pillow protectors.