Car hire Malaga airport

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Sue Dyer

Car hire Malaga airport

Post by Sue Dyer »

For a friend

Can anyone recommend (or warn against) any car hire firms for Malaga airport?

I seem to remember a thread a while ago where someone was warning against a certain company. Thanks!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Company to avoid: Gold Car

All you have to do is Google "Gold Car" and you'll see why
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Helle Hollis have a good reputation and your friend can get a 15% discount via a code I can PM you. However the cheapest by far is Del Paso. I use Del Paso all the time, but you have to be clued up in terms of how they operate. They don't have a good reputation at all, but I have never encountered any problems with them. http://www.delpasocarhire.com/ Tips: 1) take out insurance via somewhere like Questor to avoid paying for the car hire firm's insurance, 2) inspect the car very, very thoroughly and insist that any unreported defects are noted, especially to tyres/wheels, locks and glass, 3) be prepared to leave a very hefty damage deposit (1,000€ or more) if you do not take the company's insurance cover. Both companies operate a fair fuel policy, with Del Paso doing 'full to full' and being situated slap bang next door to a petrol station. Be aware that Del Paso charge a 20€ 'web booking fee' which is not mentioned on their site or factored into the quoted hire prices.
fincafern

Post by fincafern »

There are huge queues for Gold car at present in Malaga airport.
Try - doyouspain.com / europa / hellehollis
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Thanks all!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Brother in law arrived in Spain on Friday and picked up his hire car from Del Paso - absolutely delighted as it's the nicest car he's ever driven so he claims! A brand new BMW estate. Let's see what he has to say about his experience when he returns the car tomorrow.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Can you pm or facebook me the code please Casscat? Cheers :-)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Not just for Malaga but applies to anywhere. Many of you will already know that car hire insurance is a huge rip off but you can purchase it in advance from insurance companies either per trip or annually.

I did some searching and found www.worldwideinsure.com which offers excess insurance and all those other parts which are never included. With a discount code of WWT10 it was about £40 for yearly cover.

I've no idea if this company is any good or not but I've had a couple of people in Switzerland recommend them, partly because you don't have to be resident in the UK.
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

kevsboredagain wrote:
I did some searching and found www.worldwideinsure.com which offers excess insurance and all those other parts which are never included. With a discount code of WWT10 it was about £40 for yearly cover.

I've no idea if this company is any good or not but I've had a couple of people in Switzerland recommend them, partly because you don't have to be resident in the UK.

Kev, we've been using worldwideinsure for years for single/annual excess insurance and also for travel insurance. We always go for their super travel insurance and, as you say, you don't have to be resident in the UK either (believe you can be resident just about anywhere), so perfect for us here as taking out insurance over here is expensive. Luckily we've never had to claim anything while using them.

We always bought the cover via a link from topcashback.co.uk with an approx 10% discount each time, but the discount code you've got (the 10% frequent customer discount) is just as good.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I use Questor: https://www.questor-insurance.co.uk/veh ... spx?cl=100 Can't remember how much my annual policy was, but it was under £30 I think. I haven't checked into residency as I am - at the moment :mrgreen: - UK res.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

I have used insurance4carhire.com who are essentiall the same as the above 2 examples,

But back to the original question, I've heard horror stories of Gold Car reps at the airport refusing to accept these 3rd party excess insurance companies and "insisting" that punters buy their own obscenely expensive daily rated excess insurance - "or else you cannot drive the car away".

My advice is to buy any one of these annual policies - they are excellent value for money - and just totally avoid Gold Car.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

I will be using Takecar next week at Malaga
Will let you know how this turns out
Full to full fuel, extra for out of hours drop and have my own excess insurance
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

cysgod y coed wrote:I will be using Takecar next week at Malaga
I've never heard of them until now and I thought I'd probed every car hire firm operating in or near Malaga airport! I did a little search because I will need to rent a car in November and they did seem expensive compared to my usual provider, but then again searching for November rentals now is bound to look expensive as it's so far ahead. Do report back :)
cysgod y coed

Post by cysgod y coed »

Take car
Picked up Hyundai at Malaga Airport. The fuel policy is simply bring it back with same amount as you had it.
On second day, filled it up with petrol. Saw some petrol on floor and there was heavy smell of it in the car.
Day 3 flat battery in underground car park. Had a jump start and then phoned the company to say I wanted another car. They have two offices. Malaga and Marbella. Marbella was closer so I now have nice golf Tdi with 140000k . Previous car had high mileage, lots of bumps and scratches, remote locking did not work etc.
Golf is a lot better.
Drop off instructions. Leave car in Airport public car park with keys and parking ticket in the unlocked boot.
I will be using another company next time.
Staff are very friendly though.
If you can keep your head when all around you are panicking.......you have probably not seen the whole picture.