What is an acceptable number of daytime visitors?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Bunny wrote: Sadly, wedding enquiries are buoyant and could be good business, but this one really is the straw that has broken the camels back for me. Just too much abuse and stress.
Can it be turned round? I know others that have said they no longer accept such bookings but with no under occupancy discount offered, even tighter, spelt out in an email, drawing attention to section blah blah of the contract that states no more than X day visitors are allowed, and a larger than average security deposit, might, might it be worth it? On your terms rather than theirs?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Perhaps a list of 'day guests' and a daily rate for the morning of the wedding? After all it is your hot water electricity etc which will be costing you.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Hum, food for thought. Trouble is, I thought I had let it under my terms. I did in an email highlight certain terms and spelt things out to her, but for some reason some people, think you don't actually mean it. What has really angered me is that I reiterated the occupancy to her by email and verbally just a few weeks ago but it appears she still thinks it doesn't apply to her. Or are they just winging it on the basis that I wouldn't challenge it and ruin her wedding? Cynical perhaps.

I have a strong suspicion that they won't be immediately going off on honeymoon and more celebrations are planned for tomorrow.
bessie

Post by bessie »

Oh Bunny.
Take deep breath.
Do you want to address the problem and clearly sort the matter out asap.
Or let it ride making sure it won't happen again and put it out of your mind until morning of departure but ensure you are on the doorstep facing the cupits to show your displeasure at their deceit .
Either way I would want to face them.
Make that decision and you won't make yourself I'll worrying and watching.
At least you have emails to back up guests etc.
Sorry can't be of anymore help other than let OH loose ,
Nobody likes to be nasty but taking the biscuit like them makesmy blood boil.
Nasty me would kick out all excess guests on their return from reception
As I said gate crash the wedding do.
So much for my customer service mustgo ona course.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

bessie wrote:Oh Bunny.
Take deep breath.
Do you want to address the problem and clearly sort the matter out asap.
Or let it ride making sure it won't happen again and put it out of your mind until morning of departure but ensure you are on the doorstep facing the cupits to show your displeasure at their deceit .
Either way I would want to face them.
Make that decision and you won't make yourself I'll worrying and watching.
At least you have emails to back up guests etc.
Sorry can't be of anymore help other than let OH loose ,
Nobody likes to be nasty but taking the biscuit like them makesmy blood boil.
Nasty me would kick out all excess guests on their return from reception
As I said gate crash the wedding do.
So much for my customer service mustgo ona course.
I do want to sort it out and definitely will not allow myself to get into this sort of situation ever again by tightening up my T&Cs even further and highlighting even more certain terms in emails if I have the slightest hint of such activities. I will see what happens tonight and knock on the door if necessary, but not looking forward to it at all. I really need to go on an assertiveness course! If, they behave from now on, I will let it ride and put it down to bad experience. Fingers crossed.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Setting aside for a moment what your T&Cs don't say that might cover the situation, what do they say that would enable anyone to believe this is reasonable behaviour?

I'll guess they say something involving words like "holiday" or similar. The point is that no reasonable person - the acid test - could extend the idea of renting a holiday cottage to include it being an open house for numerous people not included in the original agreement to come and go and use it for other purposes - ie a washing and changing facility.

IANAL, but the test of reasonableness must surely be on your side, and they are in breach of contract even if your wording doesn't specifically cover the situation. From that basis you're quite justified in telling them to desist, even if you wait until after the wedding to do so as a goodwill gesture.

These people are quite likely not deliberately taking the piss - it may just be the bride doing that - but they are not entitled to do what they are doing. You could approach them by pointing out (all apologetic :roll: ) that when the bride booked the property, she didn't ask if she could make it available for large numbers of drop-in guests, and you wouldn't have let it to her if she'd been completely honest with you.

Then I'd have the hot water system mysteriously break down under the load.

Plus everything that bessie says!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

greenbarn wrote:Setting aside for a moment what your T&Cs don't say that might cover the situation, what do they say that would enable anyone to believe this is reasonable behaviour?

I'll guess they say something involving words like "holiday" or similar. The point is that no reasonable person - the acid test - could extend the idea of renting a holiday cottage to include it being an open house for numerous people not included in the original agreement to come and go and use it for other purposes - ie a washing and changing facility.
Thanks GB; I think you are right. Here is a clause from my T&Cs

"The property is hired strictly on the basis that the accommodation, its services and facilities is for sole holiday use by the named party and that no right to remain in the property exists after 10.00am on the departure date, for the party or any person allowed into the property by him/her." The word 'sole' is also bolded.[/b]
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

What you have to remember is that most owners do not live on-site and so most would not know what was going on.

Provided the property looks fine when the guests leave, and they haven't had any complaints from the neighbours, they'd be perfectly happy and say the guests were great.

We've had wedding parties with our cottage used in just that way; but the cottage was left in a better condition that some others have left it.

And of course, you get free advertising - others see how nice your place is and return.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

What a horrible situation to be in, Bunny. I think your t&cs are pretty tight, though - nothing there could be read any differently from 'no, you can't have all and (unpaying) sundry using the facilities'.

I can understand your reluctance to challenge the group and, unfortunately, the deed is done, but, assuming you take a damage deposit, I would be inclined to deduct a reasonable amount from it for extra hot water,electricity, wear and tear and explain, with t&cs in hand, why, regrettably, you feel you must do this.
Wendy@NorthIdaho

Post by Wendy@NorthIdaho »

Totally reasonable to take the discount you gave them for "under occupancy" from the deposit. Go knock on the door and let them know that they have gone against the contract and the discount no longer applies obviously.
Don't refund anything until you thoroughly check it all out, no doubt you will!
Sorry for you to go through this, very upsetting, not sure how you've held your tongue while watching the circus go through your house.
Wendy
New Vacation Rental called DayStar Lodge! (Sold Narrows Cottage now have a rental management company called A-List Rental Management)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

newtimber wrote:What you have to remember is that most owners do not live on-site and so most would not know what was going on.

And of course, you get free advertising - others see how nice your place is and return.
I've no doubt it goes on a lot and ignorance is bliss. But when you are on site and it is going on under your nose it is very hard to detach yourself from it.

I do try to see the positives and always in these situations think of the free advertising but sadly in 9 years I've never had a guest say "we've actually been here before when we visited other guests".
teapot

Post by teapot »

Did you get a wedding invite?

just teasing :wink:
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

teapot wrote:Did you get a wedding invite?

No, don't mention the word weddings to me!

It's a sure fact that my welcome pack goodies won't have gone very far shared out between all of them! :roll: :wink:
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Bunny, I would take a digital camera with you when you go in to do the changeover. That way you can photograph anything that would be useful to support your request(? Demand?) for payment to cover any additional costs including extra cleaning time. Once photographed, you can then get on with the changeover.

I think you have been treated very unfairly. The hot water etc will probably not be covered even if you manage to get the under occupancy discount back from them.

The more I read this forum the more I come to think that people just immediately forget if they have been given an under occupancy discount when they book and go ahead and invite others to join them as they get nearer their holiday. This is more likely to happen with a wedding party to be fair. There are so many arrangements that are being made, and so many people jumping in with ideas of how to make the day go well with lots of fun......
It doesn't excuse the situation you have been put in though, and I do feel for you.

Perhaps none of us should offer under occupancy discounts, rather offer a refund if the property has not been fully used (eg no extra beds slept in because someone snores, no additional sleepovers with friends etc).

I do hope the place isn't as bad as you fear when you go in. If it is, give them chance to pay you for your costs and if they don't, those photos will be great evidence in the small claims process.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Bunny wrote:
teapot wrote:Did you get a wedding invite?

No, don't mention the word weddings to me!

It's a sure fact that my welcome pack goodies won't have gone very far shared out between all of them! :roll: :wink:
Oh no, your bound to get a complaint and claim for compensation at €200 per day :twisted:
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world