mid-length rentals - where to find?

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
baylor

mid-length rentals - where to find?

Post by baylor »

Hi all
We are looking for a villa or large apartment to rent for a longer period - say, 6 weeks - next summer. We are thinking about Sitges but are flexible.

I'm having a slightly difficult time finding places like these -- any thoughts on where to look or how to get in touch with people who might be willing to do a longer-term rental?

Many thanks!
-b
Marks

Post by Marks »

Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Most owners would jump at the chance of a 6 week rental as it cuts down on admin and change overs. What kind of problems are you running into?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

baylor

Post by baylor »

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I'm not having any problems finding spanish holiday rental sites so I'm all good with those. :D

It's not problems per se, I just wondered if anyone knows of agents or listings sites that cater more to longer term rentals rather than weekly. I see longer term furnished lets and then weekly holiday lets - but was hoping to pay a bit less than the full holiday let cost!

Cheers
- b
costa-brava

longer lets

Post by costa-brava »

We are on the Costa Brava with Sitges a couple of hundred klm down the coast. Their season is a little longer than ours but not much. For many owners 6 weeks of high rate summer bookings is really good. We average 8 but it costs a lot in advertising and in work.
So if somebody comes along looking for a "special" rate for the main summer weeks WE ARE 100% NOT INTERESTED.
On the other hand there are many owners (especially those not legally registered) who are just looking for something extra without any hassle. You will not generally find these in the big listing sites. You have to go to a local estate agent. That is Agencia de Finques in Catalan or Fincas in Spanish and often carry the API logo of the official body of agencies. If you google "sitges lloguer finques" you'll get some or go to Habitaclia or Idealista or Pisos.com
A standard 2/3 bedroom costs 700-800 euros a week in peak summer or 500 to 600 a month if you are on a year on year let.
The agencies that do summer months will be looking for about 2000 euros for August and maybe 1750 for July.
I would be very surprised if you find anything in Spain-holiday.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

Baylor I can find you something for 6 weeks over the summer but as costabravarent says you won't get much discount if at all as it is peak season and can be 100% booked. Our prices are from around £275 a week, PM me if you are interested, they are on the Costa Blanca
baylor

Post by baylor »

Thanks costabravarent - that's exactly what I was trying to suss out, really helpful. I've got some mates locally and will see if maybe they will do some searching with local agents for us.

Roxytoo that's helpful as well, much appreciated. I think we are going to stay a bit closer to Barcelona airport due to ease of access and my partner especially needs to get in and out relatively easily. Thanks all!
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

There's a website called Angloinfo.com which has a Costa Brava site and a Barcelona site. Sitges would tend to be in the Barcelona one. You can join the forum free and tell people what you're looking for. You need to find somebody who is not a normal holiday let owner, just looking for some extra pocket money or somebody with a second residence who are not planning to come next summer.
For every one Brit in this category you'll find a couple of hundred Catalans. So the local agents are the best bet.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

In general terms properties being marketed on a 'larga temporada' basis are for 11 month lets. Shorter term rentals fall into two categories - holiday rentals during the summer months at peak rates and winter rentals where owners let their vacation homes for up to six months out of the high season. I don't think you will get much by way of a discount for a six week rental over the summer because most owners will have no problem filling their calendar at their quoted high season rate.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I would add that most owners in Spain struggle to make much of a profit out of the short season (well at least I do). They must maintain their properties for the whole year just to rent for 6-8 weeks at a decent price. Asking for a substantial discount for these types of property during this short season is akin to asking for your summer holiday to be subsidised by the owner.

You may however find someone not regularly renting or doing it without declaring or advertising.
baylor

Post by baylor »

Thank you all, much appreciated.

To be clear, I'm not asking for a substantial discount that is going to impoverish an owner. I am in exactly the same situation with my property--I'm not going to rent it out for the August mortgage payment, when my whole annual season is only 8-10 weeks!

However in my own property, 20% of my weekly rate is cleaning and changeover and administration. So when people stay for multiple weeks, on the subsequent weeks I do offer them a discount to reflect that.

I notice that when people stay for longer, say two or three weeks, the wear and tear is much less as well. So as a property owner I would much prefer those longer stays!
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

Baylor... looks as if you have a holiday let in France?

If so have you considered registering with homeexchange.com in order to do a mutually convenient swop with someone?
Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…