Reduction in rental taxes for EU residents

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
kevsboredagain

Reduction in rental taxes for EU residents

Post by kevsboredagain »

From my accountant:

Due to changes in the general Tax Legislation the Tax has been reduced only for residents within the EEC and the European Monetary Zone to 19,50%, for other countries it remains at 24%.

The examples of costs that can be deducted, by Landlords who are residents within the EEC and the European Monetary Zone, for the period of time the property is rented are:

- Council Tax
- Community Charge
- Utilities
- House Insurance
- Mortgage Interest
- Legal Costs
- Cleaning and Laundry

However, as I live in Switzerland, I simply get the big middle finger from Spain and pay the 24% with zero expenses.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

A question Kev. I know you get a raw deal on what you can (or can't) claim in the way of costs. If you use commission based sites do you have to declare the net amount you receive or what the guest has paid to the site? Likewise if you receive payment that has incurred costs like a cheque or a Paypal payment is it the net amount you receive or the the amount sent?
That's two questions but basically the same.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

For a commission site I would only declare the amount which I receive, whether rightly or wrongly. For Paypal I charge the fees but again i just declare the actual rental i receive into my account. I can't see how they can tax on money not actually received. I've wondered how they would treat it if I charged cleaning separeately or made the guests pay it directly.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

I think that could get a bit sticky unless the guests were paying direct to the cleaner or the agency.
I do the same as you but worry sometimes about whether I should declare the full amount and then the fees and commissions as costs. I know you can't do that. For now I'll stick to putting the bottom number. That's what shows in the bank accounts.
Thanks