How clean is clean enough?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I guess one could call it hard work but its all part of the role we have taken on.

Many of us were “high flyers� in our previous lives and now we are cleaners. Ah! Well, such is life.
Is it really that hard? Changeover day yes, but I can usually get all the laundry done during and after the cleaning on Saturday (12 man hours for a full 3 house change) - only if it is raining does it continue into Sunday. The ironing is then out of the way by the end of Sunday, or Monday evening at the latest. This then allows me time to teach 4 days a week, which I choose to do as I don't find cleaning at all mentally stimulating. I cut the grass twice a week (in the growing season) when required and clean the pool clean every other day, then do other jobs as and when required. I'm sure running a B and B is far harder work, with changeovers sometimes every day. Personally I don't find life nearly as stressful as it was in my previous life - it is much easier and more enjoyable working for yourself than for someone else!
Ju

Post by Ju »

Susan wrote: Is it really that hard?
Yes!!

I know it depends on how many properties you have, and how many they sleep, but better myself and my OH we work over 100 hours a week in season, and probably 50 or 60 out of season. And of course we have two children to look after as well.

Would I go back to my old life? Not on your nelly!

Ju
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Brilliant answer !!!!!!! :lol: :D
ps- when is number 3 due?
debk

Post by debk »

Many of us were “high flyers� in our previous lives and now we are cleaners. Ah! Well, such is life.
the GOOD life!!! :)
debk
enid

Post by enid »

I'm not as young or as fast as Susan so my washing and ironing spreads itself gently over the week. We were doing this and renovation work too but now we are just looking after the guests and the garden and will do work on the house at the end of the season.

I agree 100% that despite the physical labour the pleasure of working for yourself and the lack of stress make it seem easier - and when the guests are happy that's the bonus.

K and I just finished a big clean in the house as our daughter is coming to stay today - hurrah :D
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Susan,
Is it really that hard?
Absolutely not. Change over day is a busy day but that is only once a week or once a fortnight. The rest of the time is for getting on with life and what a life it is here in France.

Whether I am running self-catering or just living, would I return to the past or to the UK? No way! In seven years I have only visited the UK once and I could not wait to get back "home". Next week I am returning again for my son's wedding. I'll enjoy the wedding and I will be desparate to get back "home" once again.

My one regret is that I didn't make the decision years earlier.

FF
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Alan, I'm suffering from the same thing, but I have to come back to the UK to work. :(
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

although I agree totally with everything thats been said - I do miss the mental stimulation sometimes. I have just been stood for nearly 2hrs trying to get stains out of the bedding and I am nearly at screaming point. I think as Maria said - I'm getting towards the end of our season and I can't wait.

I want to get to a point next year where I don't do any of the cleaning, washing or ironing. I've recently started work fulltimeish here (thankfully able to work from home), sometimes involving travelling to mainland spain and I'm finding it too much. I want to enjoy the summer next year rather than watching it pass by as I have this year.

I'm in awe of the things some of you manage to do...especially the added complication (for me anyway) of cooking for guests!

Mouse (who's not in a very positive frame of mind at the moment!?)
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

myself and my OH we work over 100 hours a week in season, and probably 50 or 60 out of season
I'm amazed that you find time to post so regularly on this forum! It must take up a lot of time preparing meals for guests -mine are strictly self catering, which makes life is a lot easier. I only count the 'drudge' jobs as work - as Mouse said, the cleaning, the laundry and the ironing - apart from that the answering e mails, the website, chatting to guests, the gardening, the looking after of animals, is all more of a way of life, not a job I could quantify in hours.
Mouse, you have my sympathy - I've had a similar thing with stains today - I don't think I will reach my Monday evening target this week!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Thanks Susan!

And what a day to run out of my fav. stain remover that I can only get online (I am SO stupid)!
The woman in the village chemist recommended hydrogen peroxide for removing blood stains....and I've nearly taken my finger prints off with it!! So I should be OK for a criminal career.

Ah well - blood, felt tip pen, lipstick, mascara and some unknown yellow stain....just the usual weekly experiences of renting out!

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mouse wrote:.and I've nearly taken my finger prints off with it!! So I should be OK for a criminal career.Mouse x
:shock: Anything in particular in mind, Mouse?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Vally

Post by Vally »

Reading all that I am ,once again,glad I let in Scotland, I reckon a good clean for my 1 bed cottages take 2 hours each , less if the outgoing folk have done as they are told with rubbish , stripping beds etc. They are done by a young lad who has worked with me for 5 years now, the cleaning does represent just cleaning , I sort the clean bedding , kitchen stuff, welcome basket, flowers etc, so that is probably an extra 30 mins.
My pal has just had Arabs staying for month in her property, 2 bed + kids bedroom , took her 1.3/4 hiurs just to put their rubbish out!! 6 hours x her and her husband to complete the job...worst she has ever seen it... she was mad! she had been in twice during the month to clean as well , so she sort of gathered it would not be good.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Vally, your friends experience is the reason you need you security deposit. It would cover the extra cost of the cleaning.
enid

Post by enid »

Mouse - I know you are fed up today but your comments cheered me up. We should write a book about laundry - '"Stain removal the LMH Way' - then we could all retire from the profits. :D
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

And what a day to run out of my fav. stain remover that I can only get online (I am SO stupid)!
Mouse..you have to tell us what this stain remover is....can I buy it on mainland Spain?