Golf Course info and plagiarism - Costa Blanca South

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Gordo

Golf Course info and plagiarism - Costa Blanca South

Post by Gordo »

I'm trying to build a sample comparison chart for a webpage so that prospective golfing guests can get all the key info very quickly from one place.

Loads of info on the net (in English) but I've found almost as many discrepancies as I have clearly plagiarised paragraphs so I'm not sure which bits to believe. I'm happy to trawl the official websites for any data but for accurate descriptions I'm not sure which way to go.

Thought before I sacrifice a day looking for reviews and the like I'd ask on here "has anybody else been where I'm at?" and should I just leave golfers to find out for themselves?

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

By all means create a page of links to other sites.

The only way you can offer your own page on the different courses is to actually play them all yourself.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
CSE

Post by CSE »

The word plagiarism is not a nice word to use on this forum. Many-a-member has suffered this either from their own website or another listing coping their own details in the same listing site.
If you do a search for plagiarism you will find a lot of information on this subject.
If you want to quote the websites you are linking to that would not be classed as plagiarism. For us a simple quote what the golf course(s) state would be enough. The customer can make up their own mind.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I'd agree with e-Richard.

I'd create links to the courses' websites. That way the guests can go straight to the horse's mouth. The other advantage is that you don't have to worry about your info being up to date.

I try to provide info on restaurants/sports/things to do, but round here things change so fast - seasonal opening times, closure for holidays, booking requirements, businesses shutting down, reopening, costs and special offers............ I'd rather not have guests depend on my info and then find it's out of date!
annedab

Post by annedab »

tavi wrote:I try to provide info on restaurants/sports/things to do, but round here things change so fast - seasonal opening times, closure for holidays, booking requirements, businesses shutting down, reopening, costs and special offers............ I'd rather not have guests depend on my info and then find it's out of date!
Very true! it's a fine line between providing helpful information and ending up organising people's days out for them. I don't like recommending places we haven't been to or had good feedback about from a trusted source. The previous owners used to recommend a particular swimming spot, but when we visited it was an appalling dump and I wouldn't send my worst enemy there. I never mind using our local contacts and the very helpful area specific FB pages to get up to the minute info for guests, but I do resent it when I end up spending ages searching the wibbly wobbly way for information that people can easily get themselves either by searching on-line or going to one of the many tourist offices.
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Gordo

Post by Gordo »

annedab wrote:it's a fine line between providing helpful information and ending up organising people's days out for them
Yes and I think I was just about to cross that line!... thanks very much for all responses, really helpful and makes perfect sense.

I wrote a comprehensive 'how to' guide just for our apartment and immediate vicinity which ALL guests said was really helpful so was about to go one better (or so I thought) by writing up a "regional" guide! It makes sense what you're all saying so I think I'll stick with a few selective links and just steer them in the right direction to find out more if they should wish to.

Thanks again.. :)

Happiness is a journey not a destination,
So work like you don’t need the money,
Love like you’ve never been hurt,
and Dance like no one’s watching…
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

How far south are you Gordo? I'm compiling information for my site that will cover the sothernmost part of the Costa Blanca and will include golf courses. Might be useful to you once it's done.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Personally I would only cover information on "fore!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.