Witnessing signatures.

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Hells Bells

Witnessing signatures.

Post by Hells Bells »

Our apartment was completed last Christmas, but the finla stage is currently under way, and is due to be completed soon. I have received a thick pile of paper from our notaire this morning, detailing alterations to the plan and the carparking which we have to sign and initial . It says that we must have our signatures witnessed at our local Mairie. Not sure how we should go about this in the UK. We have obviously already signed our acte, and this is in addition.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Helen....Just a suggestion but I think if you take it to a Notary in the UK for witnessing, it should be accepted. Your solicitors should have the address of your nearest Notary.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Thanks Crystal, I tried to find one when our acte was delayed, I've probably got the details somewhere.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

After arranging the appointment with a notary public, and paying him a fortune for 15minutes of his time, and a fee to the Foreign and Commonwealth office, I have receved an email from the developers to say that we will not be refunded the fees, as such we can just sign and return the documents without legalisation. Not sure why yet though. As they are altering the description and need our approval, surely they should pay any expenses we incur?
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

Helen not sure where you stand in these circumstances as the developers have changed their minds about a (normally) legal requirement. However (as you've already done it anyway), I think having your signatures witnessed by a Public Notary is a good thing.