Floods...again!

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Mouse

Floods...again!

Post by Mouse »

Just saw the devastation across Lancashire and Yorkshire with the unbelievable flooding. I sincerely hope no one from LMH is suffering? My heart goes out to all those that are.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I'm visiting my parents here in the Lake District and it's certainly very WET. Some roads have been blocked and many homes have been flooded for the 3rd time in a month.
annedab

Post by annedab »

Here's hoping that all LMHers with homes, family, friends or properties in the area have stayed safe and dry.What a terrible time (again!).
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
pambon

Post by pambon »

annedab wrote:Here's hoping that all LMHers with homes, family, friends or properties in the area have stayed safe and dry.What a terrible time (again!).
+1
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Just watching the devastation in York. So dreadful. Hope all LMHers are unaffected.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

annedab wrote:Here's hoping that all LMHers with homes, family, friends or properties in the area have stayed safe and dry.What a terrible time (again!).
+2
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Our UK house is in hebden bridge -one of the worst affected areas - but luckily up a steep hill and is not impacted. Some of our friends and most of the businesses on the valley floor are in a complete mess though. Look at www.hebdenbridge.co.uk for photographs.

I hardly dare admit to friends that we are sunning ourselves in the Canaries at the moment. I feel very lucky right now.
Here we go again........
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

Our UK house is in hebden bridge
Hi rammy, we're just up the road in Cragg Vale. No flooding here, but the mess in Mytholmroyd and Hebden is awful. Lots of people helping with the clear-up, and lots of soup kitchens being set up, but the future is looking very bleak :(
bessie

Post by bessie »

Well the river running round our farm has made the local news,didn't need them to tell me it was flooding.
For those of you interested in river levels look on a site called gaugemap type in river name and see the levels changing.
:cry:
It is terrible for those people in York ,a busy time of year and I hope visitors are not put off booking their holidays .
rammy100

Post by rammy100 »

Nuthatch wrote:
Our UK house is in hebden bridge
Hi rammy, we're just up the road in Cragg Vale. No flooding here, but the mess in Mytholmroyd and Hebden is awful. Lots of people helping with the clear-up, and lots of soup kitchens being set up, but the future is looking very bleak :(
Im pleased you are ok up in Cragg Vale Nuthatch.

I have been following all the coverage in the papers and on some local Facebook pages. There are some truly horrific images of hebden and mytholmroyd. I read that the cinema flooded this time which will be a huge clear up and see that Nelson's has flooded yet again. I think it's only just been done up as well.

I agree that the recovery will be difficult this time simply because it's only 3 years since the towns were last flooded and it's easy to see a pattern developing.

How on earth do you protect yourself against this thpugh? The combination of two rivers and steep hillsides into the valley makes it difficult to manage.

There's some good (if that's the right word,) drone footage on the Guardian website that shows the extent of this.
Here we go again........
bessie

Post by bessie »

Guests due tomorrow just emailed to say don't worry they are bringing their Wellington boots :D .Told them everything OK as cottage 25 miles from flooding.
Let's hope this government gets its act together and sorts the rivers out ,its simple clean them out.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

bessie wrote: Let's hope this government gets its act together and sorts the rivers out ,its simple clean them out.
Heavy, persistent rainfall and natural rivers bursting their banks would be termed "an act of God" by insurance companies. I've never heard anyone blame it on politics.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I feel so sorry for all those affected - and well done to those who are helping, not just the emergency services and forces personnel, but those (in particular tradesmen like carpenters) who are giving up their holidays in order to help those flooded out.

It's going to take a long time for those flooded properties to be dried out and back in use, particularly at this time of year.

Bessie, I'm glad you're not directly affected - you have more than enough on your plate without having to cope with natural disasters too.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
bessie

Post by bessie »

kevsboredagain wrote:
bessie wrote: Let's hope this government gets its act together and sorts the rivers out ,its simple clean them out.
Heavy, persistent rainfall and natural rivers bursting their banks would be termed "an act of God" by insurance companies. I've never heard anyone blame it on politics.
It is not my intension to hijack this thread but may I explain my comment.
Having spent over 10 years as a board member of an internal drainage fighting the powers that be I would like to explain.
The low laying rivers are ofton tidal or slow flowing which have to drain not only the lowland but the Wolds etc.Round here we are not on rock and our river beds are clay etc which silt builds up.Years of not removing this silt has reduced flow further. 6 miles from me is the river Ouse just outside Howden this is were all that water from York will pass eventually entering the River Humber looking from Boothferry bridge on low tide you can see the build up of silt ships used to sale up to Selby to the mill no longer.
The water coming from York comes into the Ouse and Humber which is tidal which no one can control.
In our case this area we have a river that drains over 50 % of the catchment which in turn runs into a canal that drains land and houses but has pumping stations pumping into the canal as well.BUT that water can only escape on a low tide when the lock gates are open.
The people at York and all surrounding areas are reliant on the rivers flowing correctly.
Like I constantly said at the drainage board meetings the bath plug needs to be out.
Our farm can be over 50 % flooded crops lost because water cannot escape.
At the end of the day the water needs to get away ,but no one can sadly control the weather.
Sorry for long thread and I apologise for my hijack but I felt I needed to give a reason for my comment.
No one deserves to suffer the horror of flooding ,whether it be houses ,shops or farms.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Very well explained, Bessie, thank you.
And. of course, when county planners and their political "bosses" permit building on flood plains, just what exactly do they think will happen during times of heavy rainfall ..... :roll:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!