Protective sheets - 5 and 6 year-olds?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
SPJ

Protective sheets - 5 and 6 year-olds?

Post by SPJ »

We are new to the gite world and have no children or grandchildren and so have no experience of families staying with us. Our cottage is therefore targeted to an older audience. Despite this, we have a booking for this summer from someone with two small children (5 and 6 year-old). So I've canvassed friends with grandchildren for suggestions for local attractions / games etc and one also says "put protective under-sheeting on their beds".

Would you recommend I do so? Thanks for any thoughts / suggestions Sue
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

I'd always have a waterproof protector on a bed, wether you thought children would be sleeping in it or not- accidents happen to all ages ! :shock: As I'm sure other people will testify to, menstrual blood, sweat as well as urine will make a mattress unusable very quickly. They don't need to be of the "rustly " variety - you can get excellent water proof mattress covers from various places- I know Out Of Eden is a popular make among owners here.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Hello and welcome to the gite world! I hope you meet as many lovely guests along the way as ww have.

As the mum if a nearly 4yo and a 6yo, I would say yes, have mattress protectors. My eldest is way past the bed wetting stage (though some kids aren't by 6), but has been known to be sick in bed. My younger boy only wets the bed if he's exceptionally tired... which, of course, is more likely on holiday. Don't worry too much though about kids coming to stay... we've had hundreds of young kids come to stay and not one if them have ever had an accident in bed... but we still have the protectors :D
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I agree with all the above and the choice of using a protector really is independent of age of guests. We use the Ikea ones which are fine but I'm sure there are other good ones too.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Welcome to LMH -you've stumbled on a friendly mine of useful information and advice. :D

Yes to mattress protectors on ALL mattresses, irrespective of who may be occupying the bed!

I know of somebody who still occasionally wet the bed well past the age of 6 and almost into their teens - apparently during a very vivid dream about being in the bathroom and going to the toilet :shock:

Anyway, accidental spills of bodily fluids are not restricted to little children ... think stress incontinence, adolescent wet dreams :oops: , unexpected period, holiday "rumpy pumpy", over indulgence in alcohol, night sweats, vomiting, upset stomach - and a visit in the darkest hours of the night from relatives of Count Dracula leading to itchy leaky bites :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thank you everyone for your advice and your welcome. :)
And for the suggested Out of Eden site.
Mattress protectors all round then! I'm glad I asked. :)
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Yes agree with the others, definitely mattress protectors on all the beds to keep the mattresses nice. We use the IKEA ones.
tavi

Post by tavi »

yup. agree with all the others.

I don't accommodate children but my beds are made up:
  • mattress
    mattress topper (for comfort)
    waterproof cover with cottony flock on top side(to protect topper)
    stretchy cotton jersey mattress cover (to avoid any overheating)
    sheet
Welcome to LMH :)
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

tavi wrote:yup. agree with all the others.

I don't accommodate children but my beds are made up:
  • mattress
    mattress topper (for comfort)
    waterproof cover with cottony flock on top side(to protect topper)
    stretchy cotton jersey mattress cover (to avoid any overheating)
    sheet
Welcome to LMH :)
Wow Tavi - that almost sounds like the Princess and the Pea :)

Mmm - I need to rethink my budget for bed linen!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I would agree with Tavi.
I have mattress,
then waterproof mattress cover (Dunhelm)
then an ordinary mattress cover that can be washed and changed frequently so that the bed looks nice and clean when the sheets are stripped off (I ask guests to strip beds as they leave)

My waterproof mattress covers cannot be tumble dried - they have to dry naturally after washing hence another reason why I like another cover on top.
tavi

Post by tavi »

my beds are rock hard - hence the need for the mattress topper - (Soak and Sleep 7 or 5 cm deep/synthetic) many guests comment how comfy the beds are.

and yes, like zebedeee says, the simple cotton jersey mattress cover can be easily washed and dried, less so the waterproof one, and even less so the mattress topper. So it might seem like overkill but it's actually lightening your workload. heehee.

Don't forget pillow protectors too!!
Martha

Post by Martha »

Yes I have mattress protectors (IKEA do a very good one with no rustling) on every bed, and protectors on every pillow. All of the above can happen plus spilt tea has been an occasional occurrence.

Once I'd actually thought about it a bit, I got them for all our own beds too, it's nice to keep the mattress and pillows fresh :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
SPJ

Post by SPJ »

Thank you so much for the latest comments. This has been a huge help. Never really thought much about it last summer (my first experience of running the cottage as a gite) but of course accidents can happen for anyone and how much nicer to be able to smile and say "no problem" rather than think "oh god, that's a new mattress!"

Just a question now of working out just how many of everything I need. Of course every bed is a different size and all are English - not French - so fun and games now with the internet and where I get what!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I got the waterproof protectors for the king size beds from Out of Eden and the protectors for the single beds from IKEA. All my beds are UK sizes. I bought the IKEA kids ones in greater quantities and leave spares in the room in case they need changing while guests are there. I hadn't thought about putting waterproof protectors on the king size beds until I read some horrendous stories on here! :shock: I put the waterproof protectors directly over the mattresses and then put normal quilted protectors on top. Those I got from Mitre Linen and they are really lovely: http://www.mitrelinen.com/products/bedr ... protector/ I have four king size protectors so that two can be in use while two are in the wash.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

SPJ wrote:Just a question now of working out just how many of everything I need. Of course every bed is a different size and all are English - not French - so fun and games now with the internet and where I get what!
Basically, as an absolute minimum, you will need one in use, one in the wash and one spare. If you are open all year round, you may well need more because if there are accidental spillages during bad weather, you cannot line dry the protectors and tumble drying is not recommended for all protectors - and if the subsequent guests also have an accident ....

Check with the "How to Support LMH" for suppliers - I know John Lewis ship to Europe for £7.50 so if you can find what you need there, you will have a HUGE saving on shipping costs. Last month Next had an offer on for free delivery, even to Cyprus which sometimes is not counted as "Europe", :( presumably because it's an island in the far Eastern end of the Med.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!