Gmail account wanted please

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Badger

Post by Badger »

Thank you, it is actually myself I am rather miffed with, not gmail. However I do think their blurb about it is misleading at first glance.

"Keeping your old email address?
Add it to Gmail and use it with your new account.
Gmail lets you add your other email addresses to your account so you can manage mail from one place. Use Gmail to send messages from another one of your email addresses. Here's how:"

I realize now it means your old contacts addressescan be added, not email accounts and granted I can send any replies from under the gmail umbrella, but apparently not receive them the same way.
debk

Post by debk »

In this case, they seem to be referring to what I mentioned under #1, above. Go to "settings" and "accounts" and you can quickly set up your gmail so that it looks like emails are coming from somebody@yahoo.com.

Again, not to despair. I think you may be able to receive those yahoo emails at gmail, too! It depends upon yahoo though, not gmail. (Think about it: how could gmail decide to go get emails if the other company didn't allow it? bit of a security issue :shock: ) Fortunately, I think yahoo *does* let you forward emails. You just have to set it up on the yahoo side.

And then I think you'll have what you want.

Then again, Alan's suggestion might work for you, too?
debk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Badger, if you already use outlook, why don't you add your gmail address to that? I have 3 addresses, all of which come into Outlook so everything is easy to manage. There are quite easy to follow instructions on how to set up the popaccess to enable this.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/help

Automatic forwarding isn't available for the free version of Yahoo. You'd have to upgrade to their "Mail Plus", which is $20/year for a yahoo.com account, in order to have mail automatically forwarded to your gmail account.

Or, as others have mentioned, you could just check both gmail and yahoo with pop3 access from Outlook or Outlook Express, and integrate them that way.
Brooke
Badger

Post by Badger »

Thank you all for your replies, really do appreciate time and trouble you take - think I might try the OE solution. Fingers crossed.