Gmail account wanted please

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

It's fun looking at the auto-ads down the right-hand side...
My favorite is when you're checking the spam folder to make sure it didn't accidentally catch something real, and the ads on the page are for recipes involving spam. 8)
Brooke
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

And the spam recipes really look very exotic - 'bring bling to your breakfast with Spam?' - pleeeeese.

I started to collect them - but can we still actually buy spam? The new Monty Python musical is also being plugged. :lol:

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I've seen tins of Spam in the supermarket !!! I also want to get tickets to "Spamalot"...always look on the bright side of life,de dum, de doody doody do.... :lol:

Sorry Brooke- you probably wonder what planet I'm coming from, Planet Spam I think :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MG, SPAM is alive and well in the supermarket shelves.
Badger

Post by Badger »

Thanks for all your help, I think I will now give it a go.
Next question is, will someone invite me?
(what happens if no-one does - the shame :oops: )
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Badger
Sure, no prob., just PM me, but one interesting variation is that when I'm in the UK and invite someone they are invited to a Googlemail address and when I'm up our mountain, they (sometimes) get a Gmail invite. You may prefer one or the other. I'm on Googlemail, our dog's on Gmail (and we borrow his storage for images), so if you prefer Gmail I'll get him to invite you.

MGoat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Looks like you have a choice! You have a pm
Cheers
PC
Badger

Post by Badger »

Well thanks for the quick answers.
Paul I have emailed you, but Goat, would your dog be kind enough to invite my husband? He will send you a PM.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

He'll be back from his walk in 10mins, so no problem. That's 49 to go for him.

By the way, I find that 1/2 the invites I send out never get to their destination, and haven't figured this out.

MGoat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

I have 89 Gmail invites left so anyone wanting one only has to PM me with their e-mail address.

Anyone wanting to bring all their e-mail addresses under on roof could do worse than trying Mozilla Thunderbird. It’s a free download.

You can set Thunderbird to collect all your e-mails from all your accounts. You can set it just to read the messages or to download them, it’s up to you.

Being Web mail it can be accessed from anywhere.

If you want to know more, go to:-

http://opensourcearticles.com/articles/ ... sh/part_01

Fluffy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Fraise wrote:you probably wonder what planet I'm coming from
Not at all, in fact I've seen Spamalot twice now, and it's fantastic.

Agreed, it's good that Badger is taken care of, and anyone else who wants a Gmail account can PM me (or Alan or Paul or MG) or anyone else who has an account. All you have to tell us is your current e-mail address, so we know where to send the invite.
Last edited by vrooje on Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooke
enid

Post by enid »

I've got 99 invitations left :D
Badger

Post by Badger »

Well I have finally just set up my gmail account - And I'm a bit disappointed I must admit.
I wanted to have existing email accounts (one yahoo, one on outlook express) automatically integrated into gmail and it appeared it could be done as it talks about being able to "import existing email addresses". However it seems that only refers to transferring address book contacts, while I wanted all actual new mail on those two to come via gmail.
Gmail help says it doesnt offer pop.from 3rd party servers. Someone has suggested I can set up email forwarding from my existing accounts but I dont know how to do that, I have asked on both Yahoo and OE help about it but drawn a blank.
As soon as they start talking about ISP's, POP. IMAC (or whatever) I seem to have a panic attack and my brain instantly shuts down. Help please.

From a slightly miffed Badger
debk

Post by debk »

Badger,

Whether or not you can have emails forwarded from yahoo to gmail is really dependent upon yahoo. I have no idea if you can forward yahoo messages but, hopefully, a yahoo LMHer can help you set this up. (Unfortunately, hotmail definitely does *not* allow this type of autoforwarding of emails.)

I'm pretty confident that you can have OE forward emails. I don't have a copy of OE... but, don't despair, this can certainly be done. Take another look at the OE help section on forwarding emails.

Finally, yes, the phrase "import existing email addresses" means to import addresses from your address book. It has nothing to do with forwarding messages. Gmail isn't misleading you here.

I have no idea if gmail will work for you but, if I understand what you are doing, none of the issues you've raised are gmail-related. No reason yet to be disappointed nor miffed with them.

Hang in there.
debk
Last edited by debk on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Badger,

I know I have mentioned it before and I am mentioning it again.

For those who have multiple e-mail addresses and want to bring them all together in one place, consider Mozilla Thunderbird. It’s a free download and if you don’t like it you can ignore it.

Fluffy