Stupid question about bottom sheets

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Annew

Stupid question about bottom sheets

Post by Annew »

I changed laundries last year and our fitted bottom sheets have shrunk a little making them difficult to put on, particularly the doubles and kings.

I'm just renewing linen and was considering going for flat bottom sheets. It really annoys me when I stay in a hotel and the bottom sheet isn't smooth, so was wondering what size to order - I guess it's best to go for much larger than the bed, so for double, a king, etc.

We have pine or oak beds with slatted bottom rather than divans, does that make a difference?

Does anyone else use flat sheets and have an opinion?

If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

We use flat bottom sheets on the double beds in our own holiday apartments and B&B rooms. Mr VT does all the ironing and he wont iron "curly" sheets as he calls them!! So flat bottom sheets it is!

The flat sheets work ok providing that you have good (heavy) mattresses and people dont wriggle around too much. Therefore not good for children or the "more active" holidayers - if you get the drift.

Fitted is definitely better but buying one size larger means that the sheet will be really quite big and it will take some shrinkage to get it to fit and give you the smooth bottom sheet that you desire.

The better quality sheets dont seem to shrink as much and if you have deep mattresses make sure that you buy them with enough to turn under.

Feel sure that others who are UK based will be able to recommend places to buy what you need.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I've always used flat sheets for many reasons:
1. Top sheet and bottom sheet are interchangeable - the sheet that's used as the bottom sheet usually gets more wear.
2. Elastic perishes so a fitted sheet no longer fits.
3. Fitted sheets are tricky to iron.
4. Fitted sheets take longer to dry.
5. Fitted sheets are harder to fold neatly.
6. If you buy flat sheets for the next size bed (i.e. 5ft sheets for a 4ft6in bed) there is plenty of bottom sheet to tuck under the mattress and also plenty of top sheet to ensure good coverage for when those wide shouldered menfolk lie on their sides, taking up more than their fair share of covers! :D
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

I use flat sheets for all beds (hired and services from a laundry company)...at times I think I could actually use some of the double sheets on a king bed as some of them are huge. I definitely wouldn't say to buy bigger than the size of the bed.

Maybe to make things easier though, if you have lots of different sized beds, you could get all same sized sheets - i.e all kings for doubles and kings?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

vacancesthezan wrote:
The better quality sheets dont seem to shrink as much and if you have deep mattresses make sure that you buy them with enough to turn under.
I've not found this to be true. The White Company fitted sheets we bought shrank horribly when sent to the laundry. I think if you find a company which is used to selling to the trade (rather than home use) then their sheets are expected to be sent to the laundry and will be made accordingly.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I purchased a mass of flat sheets for my place. Eventually my property managers begged me buy flat sheets for the 'bottom sheets'. I have bedsteads and not divans. Tucking a flat sheet in tightly and securely is really difficult because the mattresses sit lower than the bedstead frames. I still have flat sheets on top (I don't use duvets - sheets and if necessary blankets plus a bedspread for me).

On a purely personal note I loathe hotel beds with flat sheets top and bottom. When you draw back the top sheet in order to get into the damn bed you drag the bottom sheet out of harness and spend the night flapping about in it like a beached ghost!
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

I use a flat bottom sheet ( no top sheet).

I only buy single and king size and the king size fit both the king size and super-king size beds with plenty of room.

If you have a mix of double/king and super -king I would stick with just king sized.
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

We use flat sheets on all but the single beds (mattress are not so heavy- wriggling children etc). With a good tuck in and hospital corners they stay tucked in all week. The sheet is seldom untucked when we change-over. We have pure cotton and a mixture of Out of Eden (would like an extra few inches on the length of these) and John Lewis. Much easier to iron, fold and look tidy.
ejc-free

Post by ejc-free »

I find that with Hospital corners on flat bottom sheets especially with heavy cotton, no issues....and much easier than fitted
Carpe diem
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

We use flat sheets on all but the single beds (mattress are not so heavy- wriggling children etc). With a good tuck in and hospital corners they stay tucked in all week. The sheet is seldom untucked when we change-over. We have pure cotton and a mixture of Out of Eden (would like an extra few inches on the length of these) and John Lewis. Much easier to iron, fold and look tidy.
Annew

Post by Annew »

Thought I'd let you know that I ordered a sample king size from Musbury - it is tricky to get absolutely smooth because of the slats, particularly on the doubles, but I expect it will work out in time.

I've also decided to switch to extra long duvets covers at the same time which tuck in at the end of the bed and kind of anchor everything!

Thanks for your advice chaps :D
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Annew wrote:... I've also decided to switch to extra long duvets covers at the same time which tuck in at the end of the bed and kind of anchor everything! ...
For me, one of the great benefits of a duvet (over sheets & blankets) is the ability to have my feet stick out the bottom of the bed. I really dislike having the bottom end of the duvet (or sheets) tucked in.
Annew

Post by Annew »

RichardHenshall wrote:
For me, one of the great benefits of a duvet (over sheets & blankets) is the ability to have my feet stick out the bottom of the bed. I really dislike having the bottom end of the duvet (or sheets) tucked in.
You can always untuck it ;-)
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

I do. :D

But if the bottom sheet isn't fitted, then it untucks too ... :wink:
Annew

Post by Annew »

RichardHenshall wrote:I do. :D

But if the bottom sheet isn't fitted, then it untucks too ... :wink:
I think you'd need to see the beds and how it works - but I assure you it does. I'm not changing my linen system of 16 years at a whim without thorough testing (which involved me and Mr AnneW lying in the bed trying to pull the duvet up - I shall leave it at that!!)

;-) :-P