Surfeit of grapefruit? Easy quick marmalade recipe.

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
PW in Polemi

Surfeit of grapefruit? Easy quick marmalade recipe.

Post by PW in Polemi »

A neighbour kindly gave me a couple of his surplus grapefruit a few days ago - followed shortly thereafter by several more. I like the (very) occasional grapefruit, but this was too much. They sat there in the fridge, looking reproachfully at me each time I opened the door and got the yoghurt out for my breakfast.

So I decided to make marmalade. Hours later, after much reading of Mr Google, I found the ideal recipe. Well, ideal for someone like me who is not into lengthy complicated recipes. :oops: :lol:

This recipe can be made with other citrus fruit, either one fruit or a mix. It is a runny marmalade (and yummy spooned on yoghurt), so if you prefer a set marmalade, find another recipe that uses pectin! :D

Grapefruit & Ginger Marmalade

Ingredients
8 cups finely diced grapefruit (5-8 fruit, depending on size of fruit and size of cup)
3 or 4 cups sugar
3-4inch length ginger
150ml lemon juice

Method
Peel & finely chop the ginger.
Place ginger in large pan with lemon juice.
Wash & dry the grapefruit.
Using a potato peeler, remove the skin, leaving as much pith as possible on the fruit.
Finely chop the skin. This counts towards your 8 cups of finely diced fruit.
Remove and discard the pith and seeds from the fruit, and finely chop the fruit.
Add fruit and sugar to the pan.

Bring to the boil and simmer for approx 30 mins.

Spoon into clean jars and seal.
When cool, label and keep in the fridge.

Top tip - once you have peeled the ginger, do not try the "shortcut" of using the garlic squeezer instead of laboriously finely chopping the ginger. :roll: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
bessie

Post by bessie »

Thank you pw I love ginger so will try.only ever made marrow and ginger jam.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I made Seville Orange and Ginger marmalade last year with some leftover crystallised ginger. It was the best orange marmalade I've made yet. :)