go with the flow!

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
costa-brava

go with the flow!

Post by costa-brava »

Maybe a silly topic but has anybody had problems with poor flow of water from the taps. We have a lot limescale and grit comes through our water although it is perfectly drinkable. But it clogs up water heaters and all filters. So the little filters at the end of the taps become clogged and the water runs to a trickle. If you don't know the filters are there you can get involved in thinking about plumbers etc. You just unscrew them and shake out the pieces of grit. Then about a day steeped in anti-cal liquid and put them back in. Watch you don't lose the rubber washers. You can usually get them off with your fingers but if you have to use pliers or wrench watch you don't damage the chrome.
The same thing applies to shower-heads but sometimes with them it's easier just to replace the head.
I don't know if there is so much hard water in all parts of Spain but ours comes down from the Pyrenees and is extremely hard.
As you may guess, I've been doing a tap dance this week
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Yep our water flow was pathetic but the water company didn't want to know. The flow was so low it prevented the gas heater from working, because it could not detect the flow when the hot water was turned on so I had to spend 1000s and have a plumber install a holding tank and automatic pump.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

If your water is so hard and gritty, why not invest in 2 things:

1. A coarse filter just your side of the water meter - this will remove any further incoming grit, sand, etc etc before it gets to your taps.

2. A water softener to remove the calcium from the water. You will save on soap and cleaning time - no heavy white deposits where water tends to sit, and your hot water elements will last a lot longer too.

As far as I know, there are basically 2 types of water softener. I'm not technically minded so I'm drastically over-simplifying - and apologies if I've got my explanation wrong, but this is as I understand it.

One system passes the water through a salt water bath and the calcium sticks to the salt. Every so often, the salt water bath needs purging and topping up with salt afterwards. This should not be used on drinking water systems though, but is fine for loo flushing, showers etc etc

The other one sends a small electrical current through the water and this prevents the calcium from clinging to, for example, the hot water elements in kettles, dish washers, washing machines and hot water cylinders.

You should be able to check with your local suppliers - and maybe your neighbours have recommendations for which system is best.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

It's easier just to clean the removable filters on the taps. We get 6-8 weeks of bookings so anything bigger just isn't economically viable.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The problem is the calcium build up in the pipes and anything the water flows through.

Filters on the taps catch the gritty stuff but that's all. I reckon mine is restricted long before it even reaches my meter. We have a filter by the meter and than can end up like a solid brick with the calcium. Water tanks and other equipment are estimated to last only 2-3 years due to the calcium. Just think what your plumbing is like, which is not easily replaced.