Hotmail accounts

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
la vache!

Hotmail accounts

Post by la vache! »

I know this has been discussed briefly on another thread, but does anyone else have problems with e mails sent to hotmail addresses not getting through? I've had a lot recently - and they are genuine enquiries, people who have phoned first and then given me their e mail address. I thought it was just attachments that caused the problem, but it isn't. Is it because the user has no space left, or is there a bigger MS problem? It doesn't matter which e mail I account I use, the result is the same.
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Susan - do you get a bounce-back message? If so, that's actually good... at least you know your message didn't go through.

There is another problem that I know of because I have an old hotmail account that I use for personal things. (It has thousands of old messages filed, so I keep it active as an archive.)

About 10 days ago, a friend called to tell me she had emailed twice with no answer from me about something rather urgent. I had not received any emails from her, though I was receiving emails at that old hotmail account, so I called my domain hoster, godaddy, to see if the problem was with mail forwarding. (Plus it is always easier to get support from godaddy than from MS.)

While I was on hold, the godaddy technician had a conversation with someone in their high level support org who has a hotmail account and was having the same problems. Being a propeller-head, he had been sending/tracking his own hotmail emails across internet servers for days trying to determine what was happening.

Basically, the hotmail servers will receive some emails but not deliver them. This means that the sender does not get a "bounce back" message... because the email was actually received correctly at hotmail. Unfortunately, hotmail is not placing those emails in people's inboxes. Some messages ARE delivered, so the receiver is getting enough other emails to think things are fine. Net-net, the recipient has no idea they are missing messages and the sender thinks the recipient has received everything just fine.

FRUSTRATING.
debk
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Hi Deb,
I seem to be getting a bounce back message, but it's not until around 4 days after the e mail has been sent. If it is a new enquiry you are responding too, the booking has been lost! I understand the wanadoo problem that we used to have, but I could do something about that, it is very annoying as a lot of people still use hotmail for their personal accounts and they don't like going through their work address.
debk

Post by debk »

yes, it is very frustrating. (4 days for a bounceback!?! :shock: ) we, too, get lots of good hotmail inquiries, so i hope hotmail can get this fixed soon. but i'm not holding my breath...
debk
paolo

Post by paolo »

debk wrote:Being a propeller-head
debk wrote:Net-net
??? I must be getting old.

Bouncebacks are a mixed blessing, they can take several days for me and that usually means the booking is lost. I am now sending replies to enquiries twice, through Wanadoo and gmail, to try to ensure delivery. Better they get a dupicate than none at all.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
alec

Post by alec »

good to know
tks
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Sweeping out our incoming spam filters today, we had a bunch of genuine messages from Hotmail accounts which needed fishing out.

Our filter produces a report for rejection, and a points score to justify its action. Does this mean anything to anyone (sender's name slightly changed)?

Content analysis details: (5.1 points, 5.0 required)

pts rule name description
---- ---------------------- --------------------------------------------------
0.6 NO_REAL_NAME From: does not include a real name
1.5 SPF_SOFTFAIL SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)
[SPF failed: Please see
http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=an ... .cotse.com]
0.9 MSGID_FROM_MTA_ID Message-Id for external message added locally
2.2 FORGED_HOTMAIL_RCVD Forged hotmail.com 'Received:' header found
0.0 MSGID_FROM_MTA_HEADER Message-Id was added by a relay

The other reports are slightly different but mention 'forged' Hotmail addresses.

In fact, checking the http link above, it refers to a more comprehensive report, but it still doesn't make much sense to me, and it should.

As I said, they're from genuine contacts. Maybe it's more to do with our web-based mail service, which is reasonably fanatic about spam.

Goat