Enquirer from Hell!

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Guest3

Enquirer from Hell!

Post by Guest3 »

Just had to share this..and sorry it's so long!

I had an enquiry on Monday for a 2 week availability end of June beginning of July 2007. I replied saying the dates were available. Mr C replied saying that he would like a booking form sent, but couldn't action anything until Friday (1st September) as he was away. A booking form was sent Tuesday together with information on how to pay the deposit etc. Normally we require the deposit within 5 working days, but on this occasion (as he couldn't action it until Friday), I extended the deposit paying period until next Friday 8th September.

In the meantime I receive an email from a previous enquiry to say that they would like to book the first two weeks in July. So I emailed Mr C yesterday saying that unfortunately we were now unable to hold the booking until next Friday because we had another enquiry and as I put it:

"I would be very grateful if you could contact me at your earliest convenience regarding your intentions to book the dates requested"

Many a time I have sent a booking form and not had a response, so this was to cover my back and not lose a booking!

Anyway, I had a phone call this evening (on the way back from a nice day trip to Gibraltar). After the prelimary introduction, he then barked down the phone that 'where did you get 8th September from, I didn't agree to this!"...At first I thought I'd put the wrong date on the booking form :? I then had to explain the 5 day rule re. deposits and that I had generously extended the payment date to 8th September (I had to explain this twice as he was adamant he did not agree to this arrangement!). He then said he had not received the booking form...I had to explain that the booking form was ATTACHED to the email..of which he said he did not open! :evil: ....He barked that he had 'hundreds' of emails to get through as he'd been away (not my problem!!). After discussing payment options and my honourable intentions..."I don't know you..so how can I trust you?", he then said that he definitely wanted to book "as we've already booked the flights"!! Which I found unbelieveable as he told me a) he couldn't action anything until Friday and b) he'd just returned from a business trip to London and only just read my emails....and considering he went through the 'trust issue' :? !!

I was left totally stressed out after the conversation as he was very aggressive and I did not like his attitude.
After chatting to my Hubby (who was driving and heard half the conversation)...we decided straight away that on first impressions we did not want this man renting our villa. So I rang him back and told him I did not want to continue with his booking because I did not like aggressive attitude! Instincts CORRECT! He was very abusive! He said as he had the booking form it was confirmed...oh no it isn't I said, as no money has passed between us...he then said he was taking the matter further and making a formal complaint to the rental listing site! Fine I said, he can do whatever he wants, and I pointed out (again!) that it wasn't a confirmed booking and it was entirely up to my discretion as to who I rent our villa to. I explained that the reason I was rejecting his booking was because of his aggressive attitude ..anyway more threats followed and I ended up cutting the call.

I am so relieved that I didn't go ahead with this booking! Pity the next unsuspecting rental owner!! I wouldn't wish this man on anyone!

He's looking for a villa that sleeps 8 (including 1 baby)..so villa rental owners on the Costa del Sol area...beware..he's a nasty piece of work!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Grrrr.....at least you had a good day in Gibraltar :lol: You are certainly better off without him anywhere near your villa.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Yes... you certainly did the right thing!
Brooke
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Cystal

Looks like you had a narrow escape.

I had a similar experience a lady enquired about some dates on the phone.The first ones in Sep werent available
I said I had a week in July & she said shed check with the others I said Id rather she emailed me so we were clear of the details & who said what .[ I always insist on emailing so they cant say I agreed to things I hadnt.
But she had trouble with that as she couldnt operate it well & her son would be home in a few days.
As she was looking at booking both houses she had to check with others in the party if July was suitable. She said shed let me know

As the dates werent her first choice & I heard no more I took it that the dates werent acceptable.
After about a week I got an enquiry for the week in both houses, who confirmed on the phone emailed me and the deposit arrived the following day .

The phone went & a man was saying he wanted to confirm the dates I assumed it was the people whos chq Id just received & said thats fine Im sending the confirmation etc.
Then realised it was this ladies son whod initially phoned.

I said I was sorry etc but these people had confirmed and sent the deposit. He seemed a bit shocked but I thought that was it.

About an hour later the original lady phoned and said that she thought I would have waited.
I said if she had let me know she was interested in the dates I would have held them for a few days but I had heard nothing.
She said she had to talk to all the other family members wait for someone else who was away etc etc...
She said but you MUST give me these dates weve booked flts etc.
I said I couldnt as the other people had confirmed and sent the deposit , she said well tell them they cant go, I must go, Please, then started to cry and begged me.
[I think she felt awkward as she realised shed messed up by not contacting me & shed let the other people down]

Then she said I will pay you more for the dates.

Thats when I lost it & said I dont do business that way.
These people have confirmed & Im not letting them down and the conversation was ended.

Sometimes people think your mind readers

Regards
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I had two enquiries within half an hour of each other yesterday for the same dates. One had unsuccessfully tried to book using our online system, but this blocks off the dates as provisionally booked, so the other people who had obviously just looked at the calendar shortly before were a bit surprised to find it booked already. The first family eventually managed to pay the deposit though.
Eileen2

Post by Eileen2 »

Oh dear what a nasty Nick he was.

Thank you for posting your message, it forewarns and forearms novices like myself to occasionally expect them. I'm sure there are not many like that, but it does no harm for me to know that they lurk out there.

Eileen.
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

The really silly thing about this is all he had to do when he rang me was to be polite and confirm that he wanted the dates and I would have gone ahead with his booking!

The impression I got after his phone call was that he was basically a bully and was trying to intimidate me because I emailed him to say I'd had another enquiry for similar dates.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

You had a close shave there Crystal! Well done - your 7th sense kicked in! (the one all we rentees seem to develop pretty rapidly :lol: )

Why some people have to be so agressive I don't know. I lose track of the number of times people tell me they definately want to book and then I hear nothing. My husband used to chase everyone up in our first year (I refused to) but soon got sick of it. They seem to think they can just carry on their own sweet way without keeping you informed - then are shocked to discover someone has 'taken' their weeks.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
sunny by nature

Post by sunny by nature »

I'm just amazed at the number of people who pay the deposit for their flights without thinking that they should maybe also be paying the deposit for their holiday homes!

I'm relieved for you Crystal - imagine the months of worry for you if he had booked.
it's life Jim but not as we know it
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

Crystal, I applaud you for having the courage to ring him back and tell him exactly why you wouldn't accept his booking.

You never know this might have be the first time someone's told him straight and surely he's now got to explain what's happened to his family. It might just make him think in future!!
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

I'm relieved for you Crystal - imagine the months of worry for you if he had booked.
I'm so relieved too!! In fact he was quite shocked when I rejected his booking as he did say "well you must be rich to turn down this amount of money"!! Well..we're not rich but I'd rather lose a booking to a client like this than take his money and wait with trepidation for the consequences.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

As a contrast, I emailed a guy who enquired about our apartment early in the week, and hadn't confirmed. I have had another enquiry for some of those dates. I got the following reply.
As much as we want it, our friends have gone on a last minute break to
Portugal for a week so we won't be able to confirm until next weekend.
I'm a business person so if you get a booking I don't for a second expect
you to hold it for us and understand.
I really appreciate you thinking about us. If it's available when they get
back next weekend we'll try and book it, if not I guess it's our loss.
So some people understand.
Helen
[/quote]
Guest3

Post by Guest3 »

That's the correct attitude and approach.....as someone said earlier "we're not mind readers".

Also, it is amazing how some people book flights and then look for accommodation! :roll: We have had a couple of enquiries for this Summer where people were looking for specific dates to match their flights!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That could be because they are restricted when they can take their holidays, we have had to do that before. As he has been so understanding about the booking, I think I will try and keep the dates he wants.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

That could be because they are restricted when they can take their holidays, we have had to do that before. As he has been so understanding about the booking, I think I will try and keep the dates he wants.