Kitchen tea & hand towels

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
kg1

Kitchen tea & hand towels

Post by kg1 »

Having just had a new kitchen fitted I am am rationalising my kitchen towel drawer.

In the past I have had 1 drawer full of tea and hand towels - help yourself.

What I have found is that I get a drawerfull to wash each week, many grabbed to mop up a spill, just because they are there, & then left to stew for the rest of the week.

How many kitchen tea and hand towels do you put out for each set of guests? We do have a dish washer and I supply paper kitchen rolls.

I had thought maybe 2 of each for a weeks stay - is that too mean? I have so much washing each week, I just want to rationalise it. I know in the 'old' days tea towels would be replaced daily, but I know ours at home now maybe gets used once a day, if that.
Essar

Post by Essar »

As well as the paper kitchen towels -
short breaks - 3
week - 5
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I leave 3 cotton or linen ones, one hand towel for the kitchen and a roll of paper towels. But I also leave a drawerful of both which hardly ever get used! Strange, isn't it our different experiences? I nearly always have to 'vanish' the stains though. Sometimes they will only have used one all week as they have been using the dishwasher instead (and who can blame them!).
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Essar wrote:As well as the paper kitchen towels -
short breaks - 3
week - 5
Essar - is that 3/5 of each or are your towels multi - purpose? Thanks.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

FelicityA wrote:I leave 3 cotton or linen ones, one hand towel for the kitchen and a roll of paper towels. But I also leave a drawerful of both which hardly ever get used! Strange, isn't it our different experiences? I nearly always have to 'vanish' the stains though. Sometimes they will only have used one all week as they have been using the dishwasher instead (and who can blame them!).
Yes, I get through tubs of Vanish/Oxy type stain soak. My guests are obviously more careless than yours!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Well I must be mean - I only leave one tea towel per week! Never had any complaints. It is self catering after all, so I would have thought most guests would bring one with them, then they've got at least two! :D
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We just leave 2 tea towels per booking (sleeps 4). Never had anyone ask for more. I think guests eat out quite a lot. Tea towels double up as hand towels. Must admit it had never occurred to me to put out hand towels in the kitchen as well :oops:
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

One tea towel and one kitchen hand towel + a roll of kitchen paper. I think nearly everyone uses the dishwasher though.

Nice kitchen hand towels are really hard to find now. I found a supply in TK Maxx and bought the lot!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I also leave a drawer full Kyrenia whilst leaving one out ready to go (and kItchen rolls).

On average I reckon guests get through around 4 in a week. Though I did have the one occasion where they went through 12 in one week :shock:

I used to leave out 3 and change them midweek with towels ...so about 5/6 for a weeks stay, but found it easier to just leave a drawer full. I also do this with flannels too....I leave about 12 each week.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

In my defence, I do leave a brand new dishcloth and sponge for each let, but maybe everyone supplies those too. Oh and I supply an apron.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Never thought about an apron! But I do leave a new J cloth and washing up sponge.

Yes you forget sometimes that it's supposed to be self catering!!
Essar

Post by Essar »

Bunny wrote:In my defence, I do leave a brand new dishcloth and sponge for each let, but maybe everyone supplies those too. Oh and I supply an apron.
Apron! It'll be hairnets and earplugs next. Buuny, step away fom the kitchen.

Only teatowels no hand towels; they're in the loos.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Essar wrote:
Bunny wrote:In my defence, I do leave a brand new dishcloth and sponge for each let, but maybe everyone supplies those too. Oh and I supply an apron.
Apron! It'll be hairnets and earplugs next. Buuny, step away fom the kitchen.

Well I nearly called it a pinny, but that would be really showing my age. It does get used BTW! :lol:
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I doubt that much hand drying gets done whilst on holiday. As others have said, and judging by the stains, tea towels just get used to mop up spillages or as oven gloves (despite me supplying three oven gloves), so I really wouldn't supply too many tea towels unless you particularly enjoy washing and ironing. I assume everyone else irons their tea towels?

You can tell it's a wet miserable afternoon can't you! :lol:
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Everyone uses our aprons! One in the gite, another outside in the summer kitchen. On the rare occasion when I've rented a house and forgotten to take one with me (there's never one provided) I've either bought one or - ahem - cut three holes in a bin liner and compromised :lol:. I simply can't cook without wearing me pinny ....

Four tea towels left out, another four in the cupboard (rarely used) - changed once a week.