VAT

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Paul Carmel

VAT

Post by Paul Carmel »

Hi all,

In the past we have advertised on various paying websites and in newspapers & magazines. We are resident/domiciled in France, and with some sites (German and UK) and publications we have been charged excluding VAT, whereas others insist we do have to pay. Those who say no do have a disclaimer saying we should be paying it where we live.

VAT is a minefield and a waste of time in my opinion but legally where do we stand.............can they insist we pay or not ??
Cheers
PC
HolidayWebs

EU VAT

Post by HolidayWebs »

Vat within the EU is a minefield but I've had to get to grips with it as we have a lot of Spanish business customers.

Basically any VAT registered business within the EU must charge VAT at that country's rate to its own residents & residents of other EU countries if they are not registered for VAT i.e. individuals. The only time that VAT is not charged is when a VAT registered business in one country e.g. UK is charging another VAT registered business in another EU country e.g. Spain. This is because a VAT registered business would normally claim back any VAT paid anyway & with different rates it is complicated. In that situation the customer i.e. the Spanish business has to show the VAT on both sides of their return so that in effect it is cancelled out but is still shown for turnover purposes & is paid in the Customer's country.

If you don't wish to pay VAT you must be a VAT registered business with a valid VAT number that can be checked on the VIES web site. I only know because I have to do this with my Spanish customers all the time.

In answer to your question, you can only NOT pay if you are a VAT registered business in France. If you are, you use the VAT no. as proof & do not pay in the UK, Germany etc. but must show it on your French VAT return. Hope this is as clear as mud!
Visit http://www.puertopollensa.com ... you'll love it!
The most beautiful resort in Mallorca.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I didn't understand a word of that! But it does sound very helpful, so thanks :)
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

God this was 2004 and I still don't know.........any clues...

Hi Pete if your looking in.
Cheers
PC
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I don't have to pay VAT if I give them my SIRET. UK rental listing companies seem to be under the impression that if you have this, you pay TVA in France, which isn't necessarily the case, it is dependent on income. Legally, I don't know the exact situation, but I never pay it.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Tar :wink:
Cheers
PC