Best birthday pressie

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi Sue- we've had a few shredders , as you say, generally the more you spend the better the model. My husband loves having a shred and is quite lost when we haven't one ( like now!!) cos they stop working after a couple of years ( generally again !! How pc we strive to be :wink: ). :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

My best birthday pressie this year was an extended visit from my 13 year old son; I think his mother is finally beginning to see sense.

For those avid radio listeners using the computer; I can highly recommend BBC7, lots of classic dramas and comedies. Monday evenings are now not complete if I don't get my fix of Goons followed by a vintage episode of "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue"; how does Humph get away with those single entendres? :D
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
enid

Post by enid »

yes - I've discovered BBC 7 since my only access to the radio has been by the computer - great stuff. I am still wallowing in my TV and watching n'importe quoi at the moment but I'm sure I'll settle down. This winter I think I'll mix the radio, French TV, UK TV and DVds to get the best of it all ( judged from my own eclectic tastes!!)
Now all I have to do is get on with the next stage of the renovation so that I can have my new office/entertainment room up in the loft which will have a viewing and listening area as well as work areas - paradiso. :D
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I've been trying to think of my answer to this thread... and I think I've finally come up with it.

I do love my iPod Nano, but I think my best birthday was a year ago... I flew home to California for my best friend's wedding, and it was a sort of reunion weekend -- seeing old friends and meeting new ones. The ceremony and reception was on my birthday, and I know it sounds cheesy, but it was really wonderful to see her so happy. Afterward, I went home to my family and we had a very small, but heartfelt, celebration together.

The Nano is a close second, though... :D
Brooke
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

soodyer wrote:
By the way, Dave has been making a case for one of those shredders. Are they any good? I've heard mixed reports but suppose like anything is the amount you spend on a one. I understand there are 2 types and unless you spend a lot they are very noisy. I'd welcome your views on them. Sue
I'll let you know when I've had it a month or two. So far it is merely a debit on my credit card account.

John
A-two

Post by A-two »

soodyer wrote:
By the way, Dave has been making a case for one of those shredders. Are they any good? I've heard mixed reports but suppose like anything is the amount you spend on a one. I understand there are 2 types and unless you spend a lot they are very noisy. I'd welcome your views on them. Sue

Do you mean a paper shredder? If so, I would definitely recommend one, but not to spend any money on it, buy cheap. Mine is a basic Fellowes model 270c that was on special offer from Amazon about 3 years ago and still going strong. I didn't do any great research on it, but it's fine. A shredder is a shredder is a shredder. Spend what you need to get peace of mind, but for me, it was only about $50 on sale (as you know by now, I never pay full price for anything... 8) )

It's much less noisy than a sink waste disposal unit, used about as often, and rather satisfying to hear something being gobbled up knowing that it's out of the hands of the ID thieves, so who cares. Only tedious when doing a mass junking session, as impatience is inclined to feed too many sheets thru at a time, then you have to put it into reverse to clear the jam, or pick the bits out of the cogs by hand. Otherwise there's nothing to go wrong on a day to day basis feeding the odd few things thru, so unless you have crates of documents to shred on a regular basis, I would say a basic model is just fine.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

:lol: Oh- I assumed Sue was talking about a garden shredder!!! Paper shredders are great! Garden shredders are useful, they just clog up a lot and are noisy, so buy the best you can easily afford :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks for this info Joanna; my obsession with shredding (by mouth of course) is only exceeded by my addiction to this forum.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Of course !! Why did we bother replying when we have the 2 experts of the orally shred World here- Mountain and Gascony? :lol: :lol: :lol: That's obviously the answer to Sue's dilemma- buy another goat! Do you rememebr those falling over ones ? Maybe they wouldn't do? :? :?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes Frise, digesting bank statements whilst supine is a serious health hazard.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

LOL Jine, is THAT what you do with your bank statements- can I send you a few of mine to inwardly digest please????? :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Depends on whether the balance is in the red or in the black Frise. Even goats have their standards to maintain.