And another newbie :)

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Normandie

And another newbie :)

Post by Normandie »

Hello. Quick introduction in order first? We live at the bottom of the Cotentin, Manche, in Basse Normandie, half an hour inland from Avranches. We're reaching the end of a long haul renovating a longere which will provide 4 beds, 3 baths, 2 sitting rooms, etc. Selection of balconies, terraces and sitting out areas to best appreciate the south-facing views across the hills and valleys of this part of Manche. Top floor is ideal for CdeH (okay, and friends and family if they pay :twisted:) and we plan to do TdeH.

So. Everso basic question. I have seen mentioned on other forums that first step is a visit to the Mairie to request permission. We've done that and as usual, our Maire (a very pleasant chap) looked stunned and worried to have such a question directed to him and recommended we go and talk to the local tourist office instead. Which we will do, I just thought he was our first port of call.

Would someone take a moment to confirm whether a verbal "nothing to do with me, dear" is sufficient from our Maire. (Yes, I paraphrased!) Or do we need something a bit more formal?

Further info if it's relevant:
We do plan to get GdeF out to assess and rate. If it's 3 epis, we'll go with them otherwise I'm not sure.
We also plan to speak to Clevacances.
We're not looking for any grants or loans.

Any advice would be appreciated so thanks in advance. :D
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Welcome Carole, and good luck with the venture!

I can't really comment on the procedures for France (certainly in Italy you have to get permission from the equivalent of the marie), I know there are plenty of people here who will be able to advise you.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Welcome to LMH, I would go to the tourist office. Ours are rather peeved if you have your own website and take bookings from elsewhere for some reason.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi Normandie :lol: Think a lot of it is regional, our mayor is just too busy to bother with stuff like that ! People just do their own thing :wink:
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

Thanks for your replies - we're off to the tourist centre next week. :D
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Our local tourist office have nothing to do with my bookings - I am always full in peak way in advance of when the tourist office actually opens, so there is never any hope of bookings from them! I think it is nice to let the Mayor know, but I think with Ch d'hotes you are better off getting G de F who should not only be a good source of bookings, but will also be able to guide you on who else to notify. Your hôtel d'impots being one organisation not to forget of course!
Normandie

Post by Normandie »

hello Susan -
To be honest, I'm not sure that the woman our Maire suggested we talk to will be of particular help. It's just that I'd heard one should notify the Mairie / Maire and when we did that, he was probably just trying to suggest something in view of the fact he didn't have an opinion himself. Anyway, typically when we went into the tourist office, she wasn't available - is working at another town for a few weeks - so we'll see her when she gets back.

I don't think we'll get many bookings via the tourist office either - though I'll leave no stone unturned! :D - I am gradually figuring out who to advertise with, particularly as we don't want to limit our advertising to the British market. Hoping that the tourist office will deliver guests is a bit too passive for me. :D

And yes, we will be legal. We've been busy on the renovations so far but as of 01 Jan 2007, we will officially start several registered businesses and CdH / B&B will be included.