Question about the type of B&B

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Georgi

Question about the type of B&B

Post by Georgi »

Hello,

I am trying to compare the french and italian law with regards to the B&B formats. In Italy for example if you are registered as a professional enterpreneur, you can buy an apartment with 5 rooms and 5 bathrooms and run it as a B&B while not necessarily living there. Can you do the same thing in France?

I'll appreciate your comments.

Thanks a lot:) :)
Never confuse the size of your paycheck with the size of your talent
franglaise

Post by franglaise »

No. The law is strict on that point. To run a place as a b&b, the owners have to be living on site (although the b&b can be in an annex to the house), breakfast must be included in the price and there cannot be more than 5 bedrooms (for a maximum of 15 people). The b&b must be registered at the mairie and if run as a business (bringing in half of the household income, but I'm not sure, it could be even less) must be registered with the chambre de commerce.
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

Hi Thanks a lot for the answer. I am aware that the owner should reside on site in the property to function as a B&B (chambre d'hote). If I want to offer the same services as the B&B (like breakfast, cleaning, airport pick up etc.) but do not want to live there and just work there, what would be the legal statute of the property and is there such?
Never confuse the size of your paycheck with the size of your talent
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Sounds like a "gîte rural" which is basically a holiday let, but with extra services if you're popping in to make breakfast each day.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Hello, I think it can be done - we will be doing it soon, as our apartment is no longer big enough for our growing family. It may not be the only way to do it, but we're under the auto-entrepreneur, regime real set up, as para-hotelliers. We're not just a chambre d'hotes though, we're a gite that offers room only or chambre d'hotes for most of the year, and weekly holiday lets during the winter. Probably more what Cassis is describing, though I wouldn't call our location very rural!

A quick look at the para hotellier regulations say that to be a chambre d'hotes, you must be in a position to offer breakfast, but your guests can choose to rent on a room-only basis.

In terms of airport transfers, you may wish to get professional advice on this, as my understanding is that the rules have changed and you can't do this any more unless you have undertaken an international passenger transport course.