Overnight stop, 5h drive from Calais

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Moliere wrote: I guess that depends on your driving, Cassis! Via Michelin gives this trip to Orleans as between 4 hrs 20 and 5 hrs, depending on your route, and that was the sort of level we found. I agree about Paris - I hate the Peri - but we found a great route which goes down the west bank of the Seine and that was a joy, quick and smooth transit to all points south.

Mols
I don't disagree, Orleans is doable in that time, but not Tours. I stopped relying on ViaMichelin and Google Maps for times long ago. SatNav is usuallly pretty good. On a good day I can do Calais in 3.5 hours, Zeebrugge in 5 hours, driving near the limit and not stopping, but there aren't many of those!

Our guests mostly take 4-4.5 hours - most people want a rest break for safety en route rather than driving straight through. And some of the older ones need more than one short toilet break.
:)
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Crikey! Calais in 3.5 hours is pushing it. VM quotes 4.5 hours - you must know some good routes. Respect.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Cassis

Post by Cassis »

Nothing really special, but I'm forever being told 'to watch my speed' by my "co-driver". :lol:

One tip: when you come off the A28 onto the A13 south of Rouen heading to Paris, come off at the junction before the signpost for Calais. I've done it so often now with better times than the signposted route that Garmin has adopted this route.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.