Change in regulations - displaying prices

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
vacancesthezan

Change in regulations - displaying prices

Post by vacancesthezan »

We are on the mailing list for Julie at lescogiteurs. This is probably the French equivalent of LMH!

We know that there has always been a requirement for hotels (and B&Bs) to display their prices near the main door however this has now been changed and includes all holiday accommodation in France.

What do you do for your property? Are you planning on making any changes?

In this age of internet and booking on line it all seems a bit unnecessary. We dont get much passing trade (and even then they have usually had a look at our site first!). We have never seen prices displayed outside a B&B in France but maybe we are just not looking.

We wonder if there is a consensus amongst LMHers as to how they plan to ensure that they adhere to the new regulations (or not!)?
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hi, we run a couple of gites and cant see the point of this new legislation. We never get anyone wondering in off the street to enquire regarding our prices as everyone who enters our properties has already booked and hence knows the price already. Equally I cannot see how this legislation is going to be policed or even what value it is to the consumer as even if the provider tries to overcharge someone then the prices they would display would reflect the highest charge.
Another piece of useless legislation from our overpaid bureaucrats in Brussels.
louloup

Post by louloup »

I'm going to comply with the new law because I have been controlled for so many things that I'm sure they will check on me!

My tarifs sign will have the prices in a very small font and there will be a big notice saying that I never accept last minute bookings.

I presume it is intended to prevent us greedy proprietors from inviting people into our homes and then presenting them with a huge bill at the end of their stay.

The reality is that I wouldn't feel comfortable anyway inviting strangers into my home and couldn't cope with last minute guests. There doesn't seem to be any real understanding of the difference between us and a chain of hotels.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Dusty wrote: Another piece of useless legislation from our overpaid bureaucrats in Brussels.
I think this is French legislation; the last time I looked, Brussels was in Belgium.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Moliere wrote:
Dusty wrote: Another piece of useless legislation from our overpaid bureaucrats in Brussels.
I think this is French legislation; the last time I looked, Brussels was in Belgium.

Mols
i think Dusty was making a fair point/assumption as most crackpot ideas come out of Brussels!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Oh, another Euroseptic - seems to be mode du jour nowadays.

Mols
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Dusty wrote:Another piece of useless legislation from our overpaid bureaucrats in Brussels.
No, I think this is home-grown French legislation. There are directives from the EU on the subject of price displays ranging from menus in restaurants to hairdressers (all of which seem sensible to me), but nothing regarding self-catering accommodation, that I can find. Never heard of such a thing in the EU state where I live.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I stand corrected Moliere, clearly I should have said overpaid bureaucrats in Paris :roll:
Cassis

Re: Change in regulations - displaying prices

Post by Cassis »

vacancesthezan wrote:
In this age of internet and booking on line it all seems a bit unnecessary. We dont get much passing trade (and even then they have usually had a look at our site first!). We have never seen prices displayed outside a B&B in France but maybe we are just not looking.
All a load of crap, isn't it? When we were with Gites de France we kept a sign tucked behind the front door and also in each room which included price among other things. It was in case of a spot check, but in ten years no-one came to see us from GdF and we dumped them this year anyway.

The only notice visible from the outside is on a wee sign through the glass of the front door that says whether we're open or closed, and the price is in teeny-tiny midget spider writing at the bottom.

We don't accept passing trade as a rule anyway - if they haven't booked we tend to say we're full unless we're really sorry for them for some reason.
Real name Phil
Moved to France in 2004
Likes ducks, nature, gardening, furniture restoration, DIY, rugby, blah, blah.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Dusty wrote:I stand corrected Moliere, clearly I should have said overpaid bureaucrats in Paris :roll:
Absolutely, Dusty - without geography we'd all be lost! :lol:

Mols
Garipiere

Post by Garipiere »

The " Arreté du 18 décembre 2015 concernant la publicité des prix des hébergements touristiques", the regulation in question applies to Hotels de tourisme ( hotels ), résidences de tourisme ( tourist residences ), chambres d'hôte( B and Bs), Villages de vacances ( holiday villages ) and any other commercial tourist residences but " meublés de tourisme " i.e. gites are specifically excluded.
"Le progrès : un grand saut vers le néant." Cioran