Booking Patterns

For topics that are specific to Italy, please go here.
Ciapolin

Booking Patterns

Post by Ciapolin »

I know there aren't many people in Italy on this forum, but any thoughts on this would be welcome.

I watch with envy as posts come up talking about how well bookings are going for next year. Nearly all my bookings seem to be made no more than two months ahead, and many are very last minute. Last week I said goodbye to some guests thinking that was it for the summer, but then shortly after took 3 more bookings for Sept/October.

I was wondering if this is just the way bookings go here. What are other people's experiences?
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
www.piedmont-holidays.com
Marion

Post by Marion »

I have two apartments in Nice and although I get some advance bookings my bookings are typically 1/2/3 months in advance. I think this would be because of the market I am in - an apartment in a town typically for couples (although it does sleep 4) For this type of holiday I don't think that people plan that far ahead.
My advance bookings are from people who know the apartment and come back to Nice often or recommendations, and this is after 4 years. It takes time to build up to this.

Don't despair.
No need to go far to shop 'til you drop - just go next door to Chanel. http://rueparadis.monsite.wanadoo.fr/
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I'm still getting bookings for October and as Marion says, if school age children aren't a factor to consider, then bookings are done much less far in advance.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My booking patterns are different of course, I am currently very busy with bookings and enquiries for the winter, and a couple of last minute short breaks (who have not booked). Once my peak winter weeks are booked, things will quieten down until the first major snowfall. Then things go crazy for a few days, then settle down until Boxing Day. If it snows between Xmas and New Year, in the UK or the Alps, all my January dates will be booked.
Summer was all last minute, the first booking didn't come until mid-June.
debk

Post by debk »

Hi, Ciapolin -

I'm not in Italy but a charming family from Napoli just checked out of one of our properties, so I'm feeling rather Italian tonight!

My experience seems to be more like yours: we have in-city Lisbon rentals and more than half of our bookings come within 60 days of arrival, with inquiries now regularly coming within a week of check-in.

Each Spring we do begin to get bookings for the following summer (i.e., up to 15 months in advance) but those are fairly rare. For our four properties, we currently only have 30 nights booked for 2007... and most of those 30 nights are for our 3-bedroom home which always sells-out first... but we'll still probably end up booking 700 nights across all the properties by the end of 2007 (based on year-round occupancy of 45-55%).

It seems there are many different booking patterns. Not to worry!
debk
p.s.-I just made myself very tired thinking about the linens for those 700 nights :shock:
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Thanks everyone.

Deb, do you get the late bookings to complete a booking form? So far I have been sending a copy for info only because of the short timescales. I also ask them to bring payment wih them in cash - I haven't had the facilities to take credi cards although I have finally managed to open a Paypal a/c (just got to wok out how to use it now!).
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Hi

We rent for just the summer season - May to Sept unless some real hardy outdoor types want to book for October! We seem to get bookings at least 3 months in advance. Next year is already pretty booked up especially school holidays.

I have only had one last minute booking called on a Monday and travelling on Thursday - bargain flights announced on Ryanair and a retired couple.

Rgds
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Thanks Ianthy. Do you mind me asking who you advertise with? Maybe I'm not showing up in the right places.
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Sure. We are real beginners all that we have learned has been from this forum. We advertise with Holiday Rentals and Owners Direct. Both seem to have provided approx 80% of enquries and bookings this year and next. The remaining 20% came from family and friends and I only discount 10% for so called 'rates for mates' bookings.

Rgds
debk

Post by debk »

Ciapolin wrote:Deb, do you get the late bookings to complete a booking form?
I'm sorry for the delay, Ciapolin. I've had family visiting from the States while my husband was travelling to 3 continents in 3 weeks. He's toast; I'm toast.

I'm not sure what you mean by a booking form? We have an online Inquiry Form that we receive with the first inquiry request. From there, we take credit card payments via a webpage which first displays our Rental Agreement along with a button that says something to the effect of "By clicking this button, I accept the Ts&Cs of the Rental Agreement..." After clicking/accepting, they can process their credit card payment.

Everything is pretty well automated and I've almost come to prefer the last minute bookings as they are less work: no postal mailing of maps, no payment reminders, etc. It all flows so quickly from inquiry->money confirmed->checkin->checkout!

Hope that helps?
debk
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Thanks Ianthy. I am also with OD, but Holiday Rentals. I'm in two minds whether to try them based on some of the feedback I've seen.

Deb - I was talking about the contract, sorry - been here 2.5 years and my capacity to speak the English language is quickly diminishing! I love the idea that you have everything automated. I'm still on chapter 1 of 'Dreamweaver for Dummies' but it gives me something to aim for!
Carole-Anne
Cascina Ciapolin
debk

Post by debk »

I love the idea that you have everything automated.
I've been using Rentalbot to manage things but, unfortunately, they are shutting shop at the end of the year. This fall I'll be looking for new rental mgmt software. :cry: :cry: :cry:
debk
Tuscan Sun

Late Bookings

Post by Tuscan Sun »

Hi Ciapolin
Yes you are right, but I think this is where the internet scores
and caters for the last minuters. Lets hope referrals over the years make life easer.

Lots of luck www.underthetuscansun.co.uk
debk

Post by debk »

Update: Rentalbot was bought by someone else and continues to make rental management a "no brainer." Hurrah, hurrah! :)
debk
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Good News Debk,

I know how keen you are on it :lol: :wink: