Browser corner - Firefox / Opera / or possibly......

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Hmm.. that could be bad or good. If the new IE is actually going to conform to CSS standards, that's very good...
Brooke
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

vrooje wrote:Hmm.. that could be bad or good. If the new IE is actually going to conform to CSS standards, that's very good...
Well, a little experimentation over the weekend confirms that IE 7 does to conform to the standards....nearly! :roll: My little Pullquotes problem is completely solved in IE7 by adding Div tags, but this only gives me a partial solution in the other browsers.
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

This is how I justify my stubbornness in first making sure that every page works perfectly in Firefox, and only then turning to IE compatibility issues. :)

I have another design/programming project coming up, which I'm working on with Hubby, a confirmed IE loyalist. So this will be interesting. How long does it take for most people to start using the latest version of IE once it's available, I wonder?
Brooke
Martha

Post by Martha »

So far, IE7 seems like an improvement - if you want to check, I use this very useful site:
http://browsershots.org/
which gives you screenshots of your site in various browsers. You have to wait a bit, but it's very good, and free.
AndyLucia

Post by AndyLucia »

vrooje wrote:This is how I justify my stubbornness in first making sure that every page works perfectly in Firefox, and only then turning to IE compatibility issues. :)

I have another design/programming project coming up, which I'm working on with Hubby, a confirmed IE loyalist. So this will be interesting. How long does it take for most people to start using the latest version of IE once it's available, I wonder?
I think a general changeover to the new version will not be quick. To most users there was not a huge difference, in practical terms, between IE 5, 5.5, 6 etc; IE 7 is a totally different experience, I can see a lot of people fighting shy of it for a good while yet. Which I guess means we're going to have to continue with some of the good ol' fashioned IE Hacks. :(
AndyLucia
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all!!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Those who are serious about IE7 might take a look at the following:-

http://www.wxpnews.com/061017-IE7-Readiness-Kit

Fluffy
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I've just downloaded the new Firefox 2.0, and here are my first impressions:

The transition was totally seamless. I had to check the About screen to make sure the switch had happened! Not only did it automatically import my bookmarks, but it also imported all my saved passwords and persistent cookies. When came here, I was still logged in, though it was Firefox 2's first visit to the page.

Tabbed browsing is easier, since each tab now has its own close button, and the far-right button (which used to be the close button) now lists all the tabs. Right-clicking shows another option: "undo close tab." I don't think that was there before -- I have several times accidentally closed the wrong tab, and it's great that I can now get it back.

And, this big "textarea" input for the form has a spell checker!

I'll update if anything changes or I need to add anything major, but so far (30 minutes in), I am impressed!
Brooke